Thursday, June 28, 2012

On Being a Chauffeur, Summer Eating, and Swimming

When I first got a cell phone many years ago I would call my mom while I was driving around....it was my only time I wasn't "doing" anything and COULD call her.  She joked that for a 'stay-at-home-mom' I don't stay home much.

Since that time many years ago I think I stay at home less, even without going to school.  This summer I have done nothing (so far) but hang out with my kiddos, my family...and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!  Never mind the chauffeur I've become, I love it...love being with my kids!  With 4 very active children I find myself driving them to and fro most of the day.  I usually have at least 3 games a week, but usually 4 or 5!  Not to mention the various Park District activities.

This week Scott has taken the two older boys to Scout Camp and reports from them say that they are having a GREAT time (too bad today might not be so since the weather is supposed to be 102+ degrees of sweltering heat advisories).  While they were gone I thought I would be ultra productive and clean things out, heck...only 2 kids, why not!  I'll have plenty of time, I naively thought.

However, this week is super uber busy with Park District activities.  I take them to swim team from 9-10, then Water Polo is the activity of choice this week through the Park District from 11-12, then Team Building (also through the Park District) from 1-2:30. Monday we had games (both Kelsey and Cody AT THE SAME TIME).  Tuesday I went to get Spencer from Scout Camp so he could play his game...got back in time to watch Cody play again and then watch Spencer finish out his game.  We took him back that night and got back LATE.  So Wed we skipped swim team in the morning and had a relatively relaxing day after 2:30....until Activity Days at Church and swimming.

Yep, a stay at home mom is also a chauffeur.

**************************************************

Summer eating is great!  I will forever LOVE grilled burgers or chicken!  But what WE have been into lately is HOMEMADE SALSA and SNOWCONES!  A friend posted on her blog a super simple recipe for salsa and we've been hooked ever since.  We make it probably 2 or 3 times a week and eat it like salad.  I do add a little jalepeno most times.

And who can live without shaved ice?  I don't even cringe at the cost...until later when I think of all the money I've spent.  But every ballgame we get one...and sometimes after Team Building (since there is one at the Mall super close to our house).  It is just fun and every time I eat a snowcone with my kids I am happy, they are happy!  What more could I ask for?

****************************************************

We love the pool.  Each year I get a pool pass so I can go as often and for as long (or SHORT) as I'd like.  We like to go in the late afternoon / evenings when it is less crowded.  I sometimes get a few laps in myself.  I remember going when the kids were small...I'd have to stay with them and keep an ever present eye on them 100% of the time.  I looked with longing jealousy at the ladies on the sides reading books or resting.  But now I am in that stage...I can bring a book and read or swim by myself.  Each of my children swim great and I have no worries.  But last night we were there for a swim technique improvement session (not a lesson since Kelsey already swims well) for Kelsey with one of her coaches so Cody and I played.  In the time we spent together he learned to dive...I love it!

Summer is for relaxing and having fun!  And our summer is just that....though I cart kids here and there all day it seems, we are having a great summer.  Today the heat index is high enough for a warning and they have cancelled all the Park District activities and games tonight.  So we are INSIDE watching movies...what better thing to do...downstairs in the cool basement!  And this evening we'll hit the pool for another session for Kelsey.  The water will be nice after the scorching temperatures.

No comments: