Saturday, December 20, 2008

"M" Words

When I was in Junior High I remember thinking I was REALLY cool...but really I was probably a nerd. I look back now and laugh at what an easy carefree life I led. I remember a lot of pick up softball games in the park, interspersed with marathon RISK games (how I EVER kept an attention span for that game, I don't know) where you had to put the game carefully away for the next day, making sure none of the pieces moved. Those were the days! And then there was the....hmmm...what would you call it? The intellectual sit around learning the states and capitals fun? How I EVER even THOUGHT that was fun, I don't know. I wasn't one to sit still long...one to get bored easy if I wasn't up and doing, doing, doing. My mom used to say things like, "PLANT YOURSELF!" "SIT STILL, PLEASE!!!" "STOP MOVING!!!" You get the picture! So as I sat tonight with my family coming up with words that start with the letter "M," I remembered that summer where my friend, Chris, and I copied a map of the United States, used white out to cover up the States and their Capitals, and then learned them all....then timed each other. We made lined pages with spaces for a State and the Capital and all. Boy, I can't imagine ME doing that! But I did! And for some reason I LOVED it! So I suppose I do have a little bit of nerdiness in me ... he he he! I think that year that same friend and I also made our own stationary specially for our friend on a mission.

And so .... tonight ... the "M" word marathon! Last week after church one of the boys came up to me and his dad saying that he and his brother had come up with 72 "M" words during Sacrament Meeting. (Maybe it was the letter "P." It doesn't matter) His dad's comment was, "Looks like you need to improve your vocabulary a little!" I thought about how inept my own vocabulary is and that 72 seemed like a goodly number to me! Tonight was proof that MY vocabulary is far beneath that of my husband's and 5th grade son's. We did come up with far more than 72 words, and even the entire family finally joined in. As you look over our words, I am sure you will find many more....see if you can. I am pretty positive our list isn't exhaustive. I felt like the simple one in the group. I came up with the first 4 and then I had to take a back seat. The words I came up with will surely stick out like a sore thumb.....but that is ok.

ma mom me mow (and here THEY go) mitochondria mononucleosis (I couldn't even spell half of their words.....too much information) meningitis Mesopotamia milk Monday morning marvelous majestic marbles marble majesty magnets magnet magnetic mountains mound mounds mountain mill miller mourn mourning morn melt melting microphone microbe microorganism maneuver men man mind mine metropolis math mathematics mat maple map Michael Minnesota minister minute Monera minute minutes Mitsubishi mosquito mammal mammals Mack metacrawler metacarpal metacarpals microscopic microscope mini many metronome mediocre minuet myth mythology meteorite meteor meteorology mend mending might mighty mice mouse moose mousse moth moths mothball mothballs mopar medicine minus medicinal muscular mackerel Mississippi macro micro mutiny mutton monotony monopoly mote mete meat mit mitten mass mad mean mace menial microfiber microfibers marrow meet mono melon mellow moat minuscule machine machinist mechanism mechanized mechanize mecca modest modesty mosque masque musk mask massive massiveness massacre masquerade mate maternity maternal mother melee meek meatloaf meaty miss meager my Midas Myst mist music mystical mystery musician musical musicology messed must missed mustard million millions millionaire millimeter milligram millipede magic magical magician Morgan mason masonry misery miserable main mad magazine magazines mag maze maize Mickey McKenzie (can't leave Kelsey out) mezzanine more move moving movie movies moves moved Mary marry married marries merry Maryland mode mowed moreover mail male mailbox mailboxes mailman mister misses Ms. madden maid made maiden maids maim may main mane manager manage Maine mega major majority Mormon moron moor mayhem mother motherhood mothers mothering make making model models modeling merge merger merging mall maul mauling mauls mammogram mammary memory memories memorable mammoth memorize milling mirror minnow mite morose muskrat musket mustache Moscow mutt mascot musketeer mineral minerals mineralization mustang maverick mania mama maniac morphology morph morphine mitosis melanoma maximize maximum mummy mummies mum mums mommy metatarsal metatarsals mop mopping mops miles mile map mission mapping missionary missionaries mimicking mimic memo mead marker mark marking marks millennium millennia millennial mime mine mines mining miner minor malleable mineralogist mineralogy mineralogical

Boy....lately I've been inundated with vocabulary. A long time ago I came across the word "ubiquitous." Heck if I knew what THAT word meant. So I asked my vocabulary friend and she let me know it pretty much meant EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING. The only thing I could think of, besides the sentence she used to describe it, was how when you buy a car (or whatever) you begin to see it everywhere even though you never had seen it before. Simple mind I have!!! But now I seem to see this funny word (that doesn't look ANYTHING like what it means) everywhere. I just re-read a book and found it was in there. I probably skipped right over it before. So now...the word "ubiquitous" has become ubiquitous. Too bad my vocabulary isn't quite as proficient as that. Oh well....like I told my friend in college....everyone can understand us simple people, but we simple folk strain to understand you brainiacs! I would hate to admit to her now that I actually do like words...I just don't know as many as...well...as I would like to know. The more I read (and hang out with vocabulous -- I am writing my own dictionary -- friends) I am sure my list of "M" words will grow....as well as my list of usable words.

1 comment:

LynnEl Springer said...

Dear Denise! I am so impressed - not only with all the "M" words, but that you actually typed them all for us to read!!! Now, I have to admit, I didn't read them all - but I am so happy to have received your Christmas Letter and to be on your "List" of letter receivers!! I am also so happy to find out that you have a blog and I can keep track of you and your family doings much easier now!!! Hey, how about we plan for Women's Conference April 30 and May 1 in Provo?? I'm going - my daughter is speaking! Wanna come along? Oh, see - my vocabulary - 'wanna' wow! Love to you, LynnEl