Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas 2008

I'm scraping to get this done BEFORE the New Year....for some reason I think that is important. So ... I'll just dive in and give the details with pictures too.

We left during a freezing rain/ice storm. Let's just say by the time we had finished scraping the car we had to do it again. My defroster isn't perfect anymore so we had to buy a heater to keep the windshield warm enough to see out of. But off we headed to Tennessee. I could only drive around 50 mph so it was slow going. The kids did well....thank goodness. We stopped a couple hours into it to eat and go to the bathroom. The city roads were SOLID ice. I slid (on my feet) into Wendy's and opted NOT to let the family out there. We went somewhere more level. Even yet, Spencer biffed it. Kelsey was skiing as I pulled her to the gas station. Thankfully, Cody and Jordan made it all clear. Scott stayed and scraped the van AGAIN. My windshield wiper had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice on it....not an effective wiper.

But...we made it safe and sound (and pretty tensed up for me). I know that we were blessed to make it because I prayed the ENTIRE time. The kids did well without too many major episodes. Yipppeeee!

Off to GATLINBURG!!!!


We actually stayed at a Resort called Wilderness at the Smokies in Sevierville, TN (which is pretty close to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg). It was a blast! The indoor water park was the favorite attraction, of course. We spent a lot of time there. At first Cody was tentative but soon the wave pool even lured HIM in. He was pretty fearless up close. Kelsey, Spencer, and Jordan spent MOST of their time in the wave pool. Even Nana got in.




















Scott enjoyed the "FlowRider" the best. Watching him (and everyone else) was probably one of the highlights for me. You didn't have to KNOW the person to cheer for them, laugh at them, and just have fun watching. The water would shoot out and some got shot right back up. These are two of Scott's better and later rides.







Spencer did pretty well too....you'll notice the spinning from the shooting water in this video.



I just enjoyed being with my kids. I think making Kelsey take a inner tube slide (kicking and screaming all the way up, yelling at me to not MAKE her go, etc) was probably my highlight. Seeing her face all totally excited when we got down was priceless. The words, "Let's do that again!!!!" with a huge smile were a close second. I can't really pick a favorite....watching the excitement of my kids is the greatest!!!! Nana in the wavepool. Scott riding the flowrider (anyone riding it for that matter) and just having fun --- all highlights I won't soon forget!


But Christmas wouldn't be the same without a tree and gift giving and receiving. I was pleased to see how giving my children can be. Spencer is really into pottery and made Nana a mushroom with a worm on top.


Each of them showed that smile of all smiles of excitement and I think this is the 11th Christmas running that those wonderful words, "THIS IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!" were spoken. Wish I could post EVERY picture, or that I was good at all those posting image sites, then you could see it all. Here are just a few of the highlights.


If only Christmas morning could last forever. I love to see the pure delight and pure smiles on their faces. I love to see them excited about the gift they GAVE to their brother or sister. This was a wonderful Christmas, truly.

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

How fun to share in your Christmas vacation! Thank you for 'inviting' us to be a part of it! I love it! Looks like so much fun - but I would have NOT liked driving there in the ice - it was awful! Glad you made it safely!
LynnEl

Karan said...

It's so wonderful to see your family and to see how they have grown up so fast. See, I told you, you would blink an eye, and they would be grown. You are getting there fast.