Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Day After is ALWAYS better

Yesterday was an interesting afternoon, to say the least. I was playing Miss Domestic and actually MAKING bread for dinner....french toast! I had it all ready and in the oven so when the kids got home it would be done. Of course, I ran the risk of them wanting to EAT it ALL right away (like we did when my mom made homemade bread). NO worries, I would just make another batch. I had time!
Then....it all hit! Imagine that!!! At the Demers' home? How I didn't account for this type of occurrence, I don't know. I ought to know by now. But....with bread baking in the oven I went to meet the kids as they got off the bus. My video from and earlier post was the LAST of the sweetness. Kelsey ran home before Cody and I and LOCKED the garage door. I knocked, only to find her running out the front door and laughing at us. The problem was that the front door was now locked too. I had put on my heavy coat (without my keys in the pocket) and I suppose that was a blessing...I was warm, at least, as I stood outside trying to figure out what in the world I was going to do. I've never had to break into my house before. The neighbor with the key? At work. Maybe I should re-think WHICH neighbor to give a key...or give them to everyone....or place one strategically outside so I can always get in. I tell people all the time that it is easy to get into my house...HA!!!
After some time, all the while freezing and wondering how burned the bread was getting, I finally just ripped off the screen and thank goodness the window wasn't locked. I was a bit miffed at Kelsey. Scott was worse. But the day after, today, is much better. I can laugh about it. As I told my mom she, too, laughed and then related an experience from my childhood that I have ABSOLUTELY NO recollection of.
She was taking us to Primary -- back in the day when it was during the week. She went to pick up a neighbor. For some reason we all got out. Krista, my sister, got out too. Of course, when SHE got out she locked all the doors. My mom could hardly finish the story without laughing some more. The neighbor took us to Primary and her husband tried to help my mom stop the car....she had JUST filled it up with gas. It would have run forever! They stuffed things in the exhaust trying to stall it. Didn't work. She said they finally had to break a window. All the while she is telling me she is laughing.
So...yes, the day after is always better....and years later these experiences serve as a great release of laughter. Will my children even remember it? Chances are that they won't. But I now I have it written down so if my brain forgets this experience down the road it will forever be carved in stone...or on the internet! And we can laugh about it in years to come.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Good for you that you can laugh about it so soon. It is pretty funny--once you have distance from the entire episode. I wasn't happy a couple of months ago when Danny locked himself and Charlotte in the car, but now? I think it is pretty funny, though I am now super, super careful about leaving the keys anywhere near the kids.