I couldn't go to bed without a little something here about my new 9 year old boy...well, HE is not so new, but being 9 IS new!
And what a fun day! Kelsey was in bed with me when Spencer made his way into bed with me too. She and I both said Happy Birthday to him and he was all grin! I love that boys' smile!!!
The MOST fun though was a surprise visit from Aunt Krista! YEAH! The other day he asked me if Aunt Krista could fly here and bring him a card for his birthday....so, of course, since he loves HER the most...she enthusiastically jumped on a plane and here she was. The surprise was the funnest part. Scott and I were taking Jordan to Mattoon for a Duty to God event for the Priesthood....which left the other 3 home. "Who will babysit us?" was the question of the hour. We kept putting off the answer until finally Scott told them that maybe the next car that drives by should watch them. "But what if we don't know them?" came the next question -- spoken right in turn to the S.A.F.E. educator for the region. Luckily, before we had to answer THAT question up drives a cute little PT Cruiser....and Aunt Krista. They all ran and gave her hugs....giant ones. Poor Jordan no longer wanted to go .... sorry! What a great surprise....AND bearing MORE gifts. In Spencer's prayer tonight he thanked God for all his new presents. I had to chuckle. Hopefully someday he will learn...but for now, I am glad that he thought to thank God for the things that brought him joy and happiness today!
I have a friend who names the number (her kids' age) of things she loves about that child. I have ALWAYS thought that was neat...so I'm going to copy that, for THIS birthday at least. (thanks for the idea, J)
9 things I love about Spencer:
1. His SMILE!
2. His excitement for life!
3. His generosity! (i.e. today he got his favorite pencils as one of his gifts. Immediately he sharpened one and gave it to Cody, then one to Jordan, and Kelsey too --- see what I mean?!)
4. His ability to set a goal and attain it all on his own! (i.e. last year he set a goal to improve his reading....to a 3rd grade level before a certain date. He did it....then exceeded it by the end of the school year a month later!!! Way to go, Spencer)
5. His love for others! (i.e. He always is the first to hug people that come visit...or help their children...or give his prized pottery pieces away to them)
6. His hording things like a chipmunk! (i.e. though I mostly dislike his messes of storing things up for the winter -- they are his treasures and I can appreciate having something all my own that I cherish)
7. His artistic ability! (I love to see his creations, be it drawing or pottery or story writing ---today he just told Aunt Krista that he is better at drawing mystical creatures than REAL ones because he sees them in his mind. Funny kid!)
8. His imagination! (Here is a picture of his "Me" Poster from school. You can't read it I don't think, but one of the spaces says his favorite toy is a stick he finds in the yard and uses as a sword. Thank you, Grandma, for making a cool belt and sword holder!!!)
9. His love of ALL animals! (when he was younger I would catch him in the neighbors backyard chasing birds. Now he just catches ALL things crawling like insects and refuses to let me kill any living thing. He LOVES dogs....and really, all he wanted for his birthday (he said upon waking up today) was a dog. Too bad...not this year....sorry! But he loves them...all of them)
So...Happy Birthday to my wonderful boy, Spencer. Seeing his smile go from ear to ear as we sang Happy Birthday to him made me happy. That same smile was plastered all over his face as he opened his small gifts from each of his siblings then one from us! I think he was MOST excited about the Ticonderoga pencils and his new CD Player/"Boombox" to play nice music when he goes to sleep.
All in all it was a fun day. I am grateful for Spencer! I have thought a lot today about the last 9 years with him....from the beginning until now. What a ride! I'd do it all over again...only next time I'd wear more padding...hehehehe
No comments:
Post a Comment