Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quotes that touched me today

I love quotes! For my birthday my mother-in-law got me The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book, Illustrated Edition. I LOVE it!!! I used to spend time just reading through it. I still do at times, but this morning I looked up a specific topic as my lesson in Young Women at Church was on Prayer and Meditation.

I found this one and thought of my friend, LynnEl!

"We may at times, if we are not careful, try to pray away pain or what seems like an impending tragedy, but which is , in reality, an opportunity. We must do as Jesus did in that respect -- also preface our prayers by saying, 'Nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt,' and bowing in a sense of serenity to our Father in Heaven's wisdom, because at times God will not be able to let us pass by a trial or a challenge. If we were allowed to bypass certain trials, everything that had gone on up to that moment in our lives would be wiped out. It is because he loves us that at times he will not intercede as we may wish him to. That, too, we learn from Gethsemane and from Calvary." ("But for a Small Moment," 445)

Funny thing...she called me THIS morning as I was scrambling to get out the door and to church. Her thought about friendship (as she was teaching Relief Society today on Friendship) was one I like.

"True friends bring out the best in you."

Her thought last night was an answer to prayer.

"A broken heart is an open heart." (Cheryl C. Lant, BYU Women's Conference 2009)

As my lesson today was on Prayer, I thought a lot about my prayers lately. While I completely believe in God and that He is always there, I think my prayers have been lacking a bit lately. I am making a goal to be more sincere and more focused in my daily prayers, truly petitioning Him to be near me all day (as well as other things...AND gratitude). So the next thoughts are about prayer from the Young Women Manual.

“As you feel the need to confide in the Lord or to improve the quality of your visits with him—to pray, if you please—may I suggest a process to follow: go where you can be alone, go where you can think, go where you can kneel, go where you can speak out loud to him. The bedroom, the bathroom, or the closet will do. Now, picture him in your mind’s eye. Think to whom you are speaking, control your thoughts—don’t let them wander, address him as your Father and your friend. Now tell him things you really feel to tell him—not trite phrases that have little meaning, but have a sincere, heartfelt conversation with him. Confide in him, ask him for forgiveness, plead with him, enjoy him, thank him, express your love to him, and then listen for his answers. … Answers from the Lord come quietly—ever so quietly. In fact, few hear his answers audibly with their ears. We must be listening so carefully or we will never recognize them. Most answers from the Lord are felt in our heart as a warm comfortable expression, or they may come as thoughts to our mind. They come to those who are prepared and who are patient” (Bishop H. Burke Peterson in Conference Report, Oct. 1973, p. 13; or Ensign, Jan. 1974, p. 19).

“Life is fragile and, therefore, should be handled with prayer” (quoted by Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, Mexico and Central America Area Conference 1972, p. 48).

I talked about the quote by Spencer W. Kimball about service and being an answer to someone else's prayer.

God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom.

As I read through that talk a couple other quotes struck me...I liked them.

George MacDonald observed that “it is by loving and not by being loved that one can come nearest to the soul of another.” (George MacDonald Anthology, Geoffrey Bles, London, 1970.) Of course, we all need to be loved, but we must be giving and not always receiving if we want to have wholeness in our lives and a reinforced sense of purpose.

Sometimes the solution is not to change our circumstance, but to change our attitude about that circumstance; difficulties are often opportunities for service. Someone has said that hell “is frozen in self-pity.”


The talks in church today were all about Charity. I REALLY appreciated them and wish I could have had my hands free enough to write down the quotes and thoughts I had. As it is, I was making sure the children were quiet (they did EXCELLENT today, by the way!!!) As I thought about the pure love of Christ as each speaker spoke, I was filled inside with more of that love. Filled enough to want to do better at loving unconditionally.....serving more willingly....and apologizing when I have offended another. I have a long way to go, but felt the Spirit in a great abundance today. I love the Lord. I love being part of His Gospel and knowing that what I am a part of is right and true! I know it so much that my love grows and as my love grows my testimony does also.

This has been a great day!

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

I love you Denise! You are the best and your spirituality helps me so much - as do your thoughts on whatever subject we talk about! You are wise beyond your years!

And Sis. Dalton's talk last night was incredible! Simply amazing! She told a story about little 9 year old Agnes, who was a little pioneer girl in the Willie Handcart company - who, when the rescue wagons came, was determined to get a ride in the wagon! So, she walked alongside the wagon hoping to be offered a ride. As her friends all gave up, she continued, even running at times to keep up - and getting so tired. But just as she was going to give up, the 'driver' asked her if she wanted a ride! She was so happy, and he grabbed her hand, but instead of pulling her into the wagon, he clicked to the horses to run! Then he made her run and run and run and run as the horses ran the wagon. She thought she had run for miles, it seemed, and just as she thought she could go no longer, he pulled her up, wrapped her in a blanket and put her in the bottom of the wagon. At first she thought he was the meanest man in the whole world (as did I as Sis. Dalton was telling the story!). But when she lay in the wagon, she understood that he had saved her life! If he had just taken her in, without making her run, she would have frozen to death even wrapped in the blanket! Sometimes, it takes us a while to realize our blessings, but this story helped me to realize that God knows us, He knows what we need, He knows what is best, even when we think our life trials are too hard, He does what is always best for us, and we need to always count on Him!

My thought for the day!!! :) Love to you, LynnEl

LynnEl Springer said...

Here are a couple of quotes that I thought you would enjoy - since our conversation about your "will it get easier?" question.... Enjoy!

“Hopefully you will find joy in your womanhood during all stages of your life.” — James E. Faust

“The challenges you face, the growth experiences you encounter, are intended to be temporary scenes played out on the stage of a life of continuing peace and happiness. It is your understanding and application of the laws of God that will give your life glorious purpose as you ascend and conquer the difficulties of life.” — Richard G. Scott