Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Living Water

This morning I went to have my blood drawn. I'm really trying in this new stage of age to find a baseline to compare my health to -- such as: cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar, sodium, iron, thyroid stuff, etc. I had it drawn a month ago but the doctor didn't get ALL the stuff I wanted checked ordered. So I went again this morning. NO worries.....and I even learned something (a "Morning Devotional" of sorts).

Last time I had to be fasting. This time I didn't. Last time I had to MAKE myself not eat breakfast before. This time I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast....and didn't even drink any water prior. THAT is not like me. I'm USUALLY a water person...big glass every morning!

Well, knowing my history of lightheadedness when giving blood (especially when fasting)I made sure my feet were up. The lady couldn't find a vein. I laughed inside myself remembering the time I went to give plasma (my friend did it all the time and got paid....NOT my idea of fun, but thought I would try for a good cause AND get some extra cash). They couldn't find a vein big enough and told me that I needed to be more active and get into better shape then my veins would be bigger and it would work. HA! NOW I could see them saying that to me. But then? No way....I was in tip top condition running every day and taught PE classes daily too. Oh well...I wondered what the lady would tell me. I was clearly NOT ready for the explanation I received...but benefited from it all around.

"I didn't eat this morning." "Did you drink anything?" "No." Then she proceeded to tell me that without hydration my veins are also not as hydrated or able to pump blood as effectively. Wow! I'll remember that and make sure I drink LOTS of water next time.

But the words went straight to my heart and I began thinking about how EASILY our bodies are dehydrated....not TOTALLY dehydrated, just dehydrated enough to not be as effective. Many of us do this to our bodies on a regular daily basis. I thought about the "Living Water" - Jesus Christ - and how easily and regularly I am dehydrated from HIS living water...His sustenance, HIS strength, HIS care to help me live most effectively from day to day, heck...moment to moment! Yet, just as with water I say, "I'll get it later." Instead of walking down the hall and getting water from a fountain, I went to Walmart to get the needed items I have been neglecting. I get home and the first thing I do? NOT get water. Amazing! I hope that I am not so neglectful of my spiritual needs as I am my physical needs. My spirit needs nourishment much the same as my body.

Interesting morning....go to give blood and learn about the Savior of the World! I LOVE it when that happens.

1 comment:

LynnEl Springer said...

This is a great post! Thanks for the devotional! Love it!