Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's Darkest Right Before the Dawn

When I was younger my mom used to tell me this all the time when things were going in a difficult path. I wondered if she were REALLY right. Metaphorically, I KNOW it is true...and gratefully so. But back then I wondered if the night sky got its darkest right before the dawn. So, I pitched a tent on our lawn and stayed up all night to see if it really were the truth.

Sure enough, it is true. The darkest night sky is right before the sun begins to come up. I couldn't believe it. But I couldn't deny it....I had stayed up watching all night.

I think that this statement comes from Churchill's famous statement about Britain's darkest hour being the one before dawn.

Regardless of WHERE it comes from, I believe it is not only true, but metaphorically so as well. Lately life has been difficult in the Demers' home for a lot of reasons. I just know it's going to turn around soon. In fact, a couple days ago....I called my old High School. Why?

Well, as of late I have been trying to get digital pictures of the paintings I did as a youth (and younger). My sister took some pictures of them ... the ones at my mom's house ... but one was lost or stolen from a Reflections Contest when I was in High School. I painted it again (not to my satisfaction tho) and sold it to my High School Library. What are the odds that they STILL had it? No way to find out except call. So I did!

And they had it!!!!!

The librarian told me that I was welcome to it since it was sitting in a back room and NOT being displayed. My mom went that day and now I have a painting of mine again. I LOVE when the tender mercies of God rain down upon me....especially when life is overwhelming and nothing seems to be going right. HE will always take care of me!

The sun is coming up.

Here are a few of my paintings...
from my first flower still life to one when I was probably a junior or senior in High School.

(check out how my signature changed)

(This one [above] is of the Washington coast, I think....or so my mom says. We used to go vacationing up there and she loved this tree. If I have the story all wrong I am sure she will comment and get it correct.)

(I painted this one [above] on a Saturday class...
spent the entire day at the Craft Store painting and came home with this)


5 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Denise,
I had no idea you were an artist! Those pictures are wonderful! What talent! You can do everything! I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Those are so beautiful. Yet another talent you possess.....

Lynda said...

These paintings are even more amazing in person! The craggy tree is on the Oregon Coast where we went camping with my parents several times. The ocean scene with the old house and boat at the pier is so much more dramatic than this picture makes out. The blues are so vivid you actually feel like there is a big storm coming when you look at it. Yes, Denise is a woman of many talents.

Patty O. said...

Wow, Denise, I had no idea you were a painter. And such a good one! How great that you were able to get your painting back!

Bruce Richards said...

I seriously didn't know that you painted. I am amazed. When you said you wanted your paintings from when you were little, I was thinking finger paints, like I had when I was little. Not master paintings like this! How awesome! That's something I've always wanted to be able to do, but never will.
Actually from Brittney