Wishing I were in Utah
Sunday we took off for the St. Louis airport hoping to get at least my friend and her daughter on a flight to Utah...stand by. Crazy time to fly!!!! (especially stand by). The airport was full and we had quite an adventure. I hadn't planned to check our bags since I wasn't positive we would be getting there. But Spencer brought his new prized knife and.....it can't go through security. I had to make a tough decision quickly. I HATED to leave my 3 extra kids with my friend and have her FINISH the security fiasco with DVD players, coats, shoes, back packs, AND extra security. But I also hated to have Spencer's new knife confiscated. So, I chose Spencer, knowing Susan was up to the challenge and could handle it better than Spencer. Off I ran to check our bag with Spencer's prized knife inside --- in my socks (my shoes were already through security). Susan did great and I found I could run in stocking feet pretty good (back to check the bag and then back through security).
The flight was full and the kids' bellies were empty. $40 later we had 1/2 sandwiches and fruit and water for everyone...they were satiated for the time being. When we didn't make the flight they couldn't understand why we were LEAVING the airport without even getting on an airplane. Poor Cody has been whining about getting on an airplane since the Wednesday before.
Thankfully we have friends in Effingham whose parents live in St. Louis. We have been leaving our van in their "airport parking" free of charge for many years so they are our friends now too. They graciously took us in and fed our kids who THOUGHT they were still hungry.....pears and clementines and grilled cheese sandwiches. What more could a kid want? A late night with not a lot of sleep for this aging mom who started out ON THE FLOOR, but we made it up and out the door by 5:15 am to start the process all over again.
The lines that morning were horrific! It took us an hour to get to the check in then another hour to get through security....all the while I was totally exhausted and the kids were tired and very hungry. After security and $40 later we had bagels and cream cheese and once again they were satiated. Again, thankfully, the airport has a little TV viewing area for kids with a table and chairs (of a sort). We totally monopolized this area for quite some time --- until we found we didn't make that flight either.
And heck! The kids, at least, got to SEE airplanes -- which sufficed until we had to let them know we WOULDN'T EVER be getting on one that day!
Gratitude for Others
Not much of my life could exist without the help of others.....ever! But these last couple week seemed especially to prove that point to me POINT BLANK!
We left for TN in the freezing rain on Tuesday. I guess I had spent all of Monday getting ready and totally spaced finding a place for Jordan's mouse. So, we'll just send it to the local pet shop that offers pet "babysitting." Only problem, they weren't open until later and we took off without thinking about it. We called a friend to help us out....which they did willingly. My problem? I called right in the middle of THEIR Christmas celebration as a family. They also were heading out of town so were celebrating with their little children early. Despite catching them in that situation, they were willing to help us out. It touched my heart.
As we were trying to head out to Utah, Jordan was heading to Iowa to spend time with his best friend. I was excited for him. But because of the funky fullness of ALL the flights for US, we had to have Jordan go at a time when I couldn't be the one getting him onto the plane....Scott had to. He chose to have someone accompany him. Jeepers! He got a friend whose family is moving because he got a job in another state. So, he is home for the holidays and now is taking nearly an entire day to help us JUST so my son can make a flight to his friend's house. It touched my heart.
Then, the hospitality and graciousness of our friends in St. Louis really amazed me. I knew she would step forward and offer everything, but it still touched my heart. Not only did she take us to the airport then come pick us up on Sunday, but she offered her home and her food Sunday night. THEN, she woke up before any sane person should be awake over the holidays and took us to the airport AGAIN.....just to have to come back and get us in the afternoon.
I will forever be grateful for friends who give willingly. I hope that I can be so giving. These were only the tip of the iceburg...the BIG ones that overwhelmed me with gratitude. I could name so many others. I hope that I am better able to recognize and be grateful for others and what they do for me and my family.
Bettering Myself
Let's just say....this area of this post could be the longest. I have no pictures to substantiate the ideas I have, the improvements necessary. But a question from a friend, "Do you make resolutions?" set my mind and heart thinking more than normal.
I won't go into all the detail....but really I am grateful for friends who help me want to be better, a family who does the same (in fact ... who offers the training ground to do so), for a knowledge that I CAN improve, can change, can become better. Without the hope of something better I think I would just speedily get worse. Thank goodness for hope. Thank God for His SON who offers me the greatest hope, the most wonderous gift of allowable change and betterment. I will forever be grateful for His life, His influence in MY life.
So....2009 will be great! I will remember to be grateful for others and their kindness. I will, in turn, increase my kindness to them and others. I will cherish family and friends and my experiences with them (even as adventurous as waiting around in an airport all day). I won't even set a goal for a clean house.....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ok...stop laughing....even though I can't stop laughing! That goal was set aside long ago. I have found this week (again) that I MUCH prefer cleaning the house (did I just say that I PREFER cleaning a house????) when I am alone, when the kids have no chance to mess it up before I finish the room!!!!
Happy New Year!
2 comments:
Denise, you are AWESOME! I knew that before finding your blog but you still find ways to amaze me! Uggh, I hate traveling at busy times but you seem to handle it well! Happy New Year everyone! I miss visiting your branch!
I had no idea you had spent TWO whole days at the airport. Holy cow--you are a woman of amazing fortitude and patience. I don't think I would have lasted one day, even.
I have been thinking about resolutions, too and decided to set only one (not that there aren't numerous ways I could improve, but this is one area that will help me spiritually, in my relationships, etc and make me a generally happier person). My resolution ( and you are the first person I am sharing this with. Maybe I will eventually blog about it) is to give everyone I come into contact with the benefit of the doubt (including myself). I do my best to avoid holding onto grudges and try to remember that everyone is probably doing the best they can and if they aren't? well, it's not my job to judge. Don't know if that makes sense, but I do know it goes along well with the new stake scripture and will help me not take things personally and not judge/gossip, etc.
Post a Comment