I received a phone call from Spencer's teacher on Monday. He has struggled a bit with reading and I am very glad that he has been getting help. Recently I have noticed how well he is doing with reading. He is DIFFERENT than Jordan (thankfully) so I need to always remember (and help him do so also) that he reads differently than him and not compare the two. But lately he LOVES reading and even stays up after he goes to bed to read the Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne. I love it!!!! He is reading and enjoying it.
The phone call was all about his teacher's excitement that he is doing so well with it all and that SHE got to see it. She knew it would come...that little jump to the next level; the spark that ignited understanding and love....but never imagined it would be while she was his teacher. So we had a little happy dance together ravishing over Spencer. I LOVE it that she loves him and appreciates him and sees his potential and is excited about him. How's that for a run on 2nd grade sentence?!!
Anyway....just to share the happy dance with you too!
2 comments:
Go Spencer! I went through some years where I didn't enjoy reading. Somewhere in late elementary school my brother got me to read a Hardy Boys book for fun. That was the first time I ever read a book for fun that was above a 2nd grade level and I loved it. Now I can't get enough reading.
Right now, I'm in the middle of 3 fantasy novels/series. :-)
That is fabulous news!!! this is such a crucial time for him and I am so glad his teacher cares and is making it easier for Spencer to succeed. Unfortunately, some teachers could have the opposite effect and could have totally, completely turned him off to reading, which, in my opinion, would have been a tragedy. Way to go for understanding your kids' differences and respecting them--I think that is hard to do sometimes.
Post a Comment