Sunday, February 15, 2009

Repetition

I have heard over and over in my life that we learn by repetition. I know this to be true. I learned to shoot a layup by doing it over and over and over again. The same principle applied with fielding a grounder, or learning to read or write, or whatever the task may be. Heber J. Grant quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the task has changed, but that our ability to do has increased." It is also true about the events in our lives.....they have to be done over and over and over again. I remember a talk given by Pres Faust in March of 1998 at the General YW Meeting stating that sometimes we mothers may think that our "jobs" are mundane and boring and the same things over and over again. His statement that followed made me chuckle....in essence, so is a man's job.

And so....life is repetitious. How I wished that when the laundry was near done (I could NEVER say it was FULLY done) it would never get deeper. Or when the dishes were actually done they would never need to be done again. This whole line of thinking came just this afternoon as I once again could see my counter top. Any of you that have been to my house know that it is a depository more than a kitchen counter. I feel like shouting for joy and documenting it with pictures when I actually can see the green counter top....not the mess of papers and mail and kid's stuff. If only when it was accomplished and would never have to be cleaned up again. But alas, the chances are VERY slim, VERY, VERY, VERY slim, that occurrence could come in MY lifetime.

As it is Sunday and I am usually in a more reflective type mood, my mind began to ponder the relevance of this truth throughout ALL of my life. Gratefully, though Scott has told me once that he loves me....he continues to tell me over and over and over again. I learn best by repetition. Though I have told my children that I love them....the same principle applies. But in saying that, it also stands to reason that I would need to tell them over and over and over again to clean up their rooms, be kind to one another, etc. "How many times have I told you.....?" is a statement often heard slipping out of parents mouths.....maybe it needs to be a lot since we all seem to learn best by repetition. I forget this all too often.

Thinking about this brings me to my testimony. I didn't just gain it one day and do nothing to nurture it from then on out. Repetition! Nor have I repented only one time and am done with that process either. Repetition. Reading the scriptures is a repetitious occurrence - or at least it ought to be. If I plan to learn ANYTHING in this life it is to be through repetition....plain and simple. Doing it over and over and over again. Maybe in time I will get better at all these disciplines in my life as I continue throughout my life to do them.

I remember talking to my mom once about patience and how I am so very NOT PATIENT. She lovingly reminded me that I am more patient than I was before that time. Little lessons, little daily occurrences, REPETITION, seems to be my best instructor. Baby steps over and over and over again will take me to the place I long to be....whether that is a clean kitchen, clean clothes, a loving relationship with my husband or children, greater patience, more scriptural love and knowledge, or a testimony.

So....with my cleaned off kitchen counter top (that won't last forever) I glory in the repetition in my life that continues to teach me....over and over and over again.

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Love your thoughts here! You totally speak the truth! You are an amazing person! Thank you for being my friend!

Patty O. said...

What a great post and good reminder that learning takes lots of practice and experience. I especially love your point about having to repeatedly tell our kids and loved ones that we love them. It never occurred to me that it would make perfect sense that other things need to be repeated often as well, like instructing the kids to clean up, say thank you, stop pushing, etc. etc. That is sucha good way to look at it and it changes my perspective.