Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Memory Lane

Everyone has one....Memory Lane. Some of us visit it often, others not so often. I, for one, enjoy Memory Lane (most of the time). Recently I traveled down to TN to spend time with the in-laws. Scott and I used to live there when we first got married. As I drove the streets of our city it was amazing that 10 years ago is when we LEFT there. It had grown, as all cities do, but really it was just the same. Memories flooded my mind....the house with the lady on the porch telling us to hurry home as a tornado was coming (Scott and I were running), the cemetery my mom and I walked through when I was in labor with Jordan, our first little house and street, the park I would walk or run by with Jordan, the park at the school down the road, etc! So many memories filled my mind and heart. Life is interesting that way ... for me! Then I went to church. As I sat by my good long time friend, Mary Meredith, I recognized so few people. The Meredith's, though, NEVER change...they ALWAYS love you. My heart was overwhelmed as she walked around the corner and smiled that same smile I have known for 13+ years now. Memories of that family and how they affected and influenced my life while there were near overwhelming.

I sat in the very row Scott and I had sat in so very many Sundays long ago. We sat there without ANY children....and now I have 4 in church with me. I was solo that Sunday so it was easy to ponder and contemplate life and how it goes so very very fast. It was near that row that Jordan spit out his pacifier at age 6 months FOR GOOD. He spit it out so hard that it rolled up a couple rows. Kindly, the family passed it back. Again it happened and again the family passed it kindly back. The third time I got the hint and he never had it again. I was flooded with good memories of friends from long ago. It was in that chapel I had heard so very many spiritual messages that changed my life, given so very many talks, sang so many songs, and sat next to so many friends.

The day before I spent in the Nashville Temple. The Temple is a wonderfully spiritual place regardless, but this time was especially so for me. I enjoyed seeing a couple friends from long ago. Thinking about how life has transpired since our TN years was nice. It has definitely NOT been all a cake walk, but I am happy where I am...happy for the memories I have and the experiences that have molded me into who I am.

Recently Facebook has been a craze among friends....and I have a "bunch" of friend invites from friends from long ago. Walking down my High School Memory Lane has been fun. 20+ years later I suppose I forget (to a degree) the hardships and trials of High School/Teenage life and just remember some fun times. It's nice to be remembered as a friend.

And so...Memory Lane is my new address! I enjoy it here....gratefully so!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I go through this a lot when I go back to chicago to see family. I have so many memories of childhood, teenhood and then the first 3 years of marriage. It's fun to be able to drive by our old apartment and reminisce. What I would really like is to spend a Saturday afternoon in the neighborhood where Bil lived when we were dating. We had so much fun there!