Sunday, December 13, 2009

Basketball, Christmas Programs, and Passing the Sacrament

The weeks go by fast these days. I have spent a lot of time revamping my resume this week, editing cover letters, and searching for jobs. THIS is not my favorite thing to do...nor do I like it any better at this holiday season of the year. In fact, I like it LESS because what I want to be doing is relaxing and playing with my children, reading them Christmas stories, and having a good time anticipating Christmas morning with them. That said, we HAVE finally finished putting up the Christmas lights outside, the tree IS done, and life really is quite nice.

The children continue to be busy, busy, busy! Having Scott home has created a monster in Cody. I love that little guy, but he has become this clingy little fellow who doesn't want to do anything without mom or dad right there. Sadly, I haven't been as patient with him as I should be....in my stressed out need to finish these resume, job type things I am sure I am the monster and he is just a reciprocation of myself. So, on Friday I did NOTHING but play with him....and had a GREAT time doing so.

Spencer is REALLY loving basketball. I sometimes wonder what I was like as a kid, so into sports and all. I am sure I had to start somewhere in skill level...and Spencer is just starting. What skill he lacks he makes up for with enthusiasm. THAT is Spencer's way. THAT is just one smidgen of why I love this reckless kid so much. What he does, he does full force...with all his excitement and enthusiasm. I LOVE to watch that!



Kelsey is just as enthusiastic when it comes to her things. On Thursday evening we went to her Christmas program before Spencer's basketball game. She was soooo excited until the day before when she decided to BEG for a new dress. Nana had already gotten her on over Thanksgiving....and thankfully she wore it. She was beautiful! All week she sang us the songs we would hear at her program. I love to hear her sing. I had to laugh out loud when my usually rhythmic daughter was swaying perfectly to the beat, but completely opposite the rest of the crowd. Funny girl. I LOVE to watch her do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!



Today was Jordan's first time passing the sacrament at church. Having been female all my life I really had no clue about what the anticipation and anxiety for that event might feel like. The poor guy was pretty nervous. I was grateful he could talk to me about it. When I asked, I was shocked to hear that he was most nervous about tripping and spilling everything in front of everyone. Last night he just wanted to know where to go and what to do. And today he did great! My heart swelled as I watched him. He sat up front and actually sang BOTH songs. He's a good kid! Despite listening to his mp3 player all day to where I can rarely get his attention, etc etc etc for a youth, I LOVE this guy....more than he'll know for quite a long time (maybe until he becomes a parent of his own).

And such is our life this week. Scott has been helping out at FISH a lot...a local agency that provides Christmas for families in need. He loves serving and I love that he loves it. They didn't have a lot of help this year so he has been a Godsend for them!

Grateful for my family....Grateful for the Season....Grateful for Basketball, Christmas Programs, and Passing the Sacrament that let me see my children in action!

3 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

And I am grateful for a friend named Denise!

Patty O. said...

It was so awesome to watch Jordan pass the sacrament. His face was just shining. I don't know how to explain it, but I am glad I was there to witness it!

Jackie said...

Jordan is already passing the sacrament?!? WOW! Good for him and wish I could see him do it! I can't believe his is that old already!
Good luck with the job hunt! Neal is busy doing the same and it is an unwanted but necessary stress this time of year! You will do great!