Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pay It Forward...

Have you seen that movie? It's pretty good....not my favorite, by any stretch, but the moral of the story (NOT the morals, don't be confused) was a good one. It is a theory, moral, I have thought about ever since I saw the movie so very long ago. What if EVERYONE paid forward the good deeds done to them? We don't have TV so it was a LONG time ago that I saw a commercial about it also...I don't even remember WHAT they were advertising, but the general statement was sort of "what goes around comes around," "what you sow you shall also reap."

At any rate, the other morning as I was driving children to school I got to thinking about a sign I am making for a neighbor for his wife's horse trailer. I am very happy to do it and even decided I would do it for free, as a Christmas present, since he helped so much in the remodeling of our house (mudding and taping the sheetrock). It sent me on a ride in thought....not a pleasant one at first, but gratefully, the outcome was worthy to stick in my heart and mind and blog about.

I have been "helped" by SO very many people in my life. Be it helping with remodeling to financially in a difficult time, the help is well appreciated even if not "paid for." I realized this particular morning how horrible I have felt when I can't "pay someone back!" Either I don't have the funds or don't know how to reciprocate in as meaningful a way as what I received. Does that make any sense at all?

Well, as I sat driving and feeling more and more horrible about not being able to repay others I realized that the GREATEST gift I have ever received came from Jesus. I could NEVER pay HIM back, no matter how much I tried. Yet I don't feel horrible about that. I am grateful for His sacrifice and try to sacrifice for others and show them His love through my actions.

And so....I realized, in conjunction, that I need to only be grateful for the service of others and then "Pay It Forward" --- sacrifice for others as they have sacrificed for me, share love with others as they have shared love for me.

I am grateful to see Christ is all things, in my every day life!

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

What a terrific thought you had when you wrote this blog entry. I love it! You are so right, we can never repay the Savior for what He did for us.

My daughter, Stacey, had just the same thing happen to them. They were eating in a restaurant in So. California, for Stacey's birthday in late November,and the waitress said she had a surprise for them. It was first dessert - and Stacey was thrilled cuz they really couldn't afford dessert! Then she came back and handed her an envelope! It had a handwritten note in it from an older couple who had also been in the restaurant, celebrating their 38th anniversary. It said something like "We notice that you are such a cute couple just starting your family and hope you have many wonderful years together being as happy as we are!" Then they included $70 cash, which paid for their whole meal including the tip! They were so happy and hope that someday they will be able to do that for someone else! I loved that someone was so nice to them! The couple was gone by the time my daughter and son-in-law received the note and money, so they couldn't even thank them! What a wonderful gift!

Patty O. said...

Well said. I think one of life's difficult lessons is learning to accept help gracefully. It sure isn't easy--it feels like we should pay back everything, but sometimes that isn't possible. And that is ok. But I agree that paying it forward is a great way to do it. Help someone who can't pay us back, just like Christ did....