Sunday, July 25, 2010

Girls Camp T-Shirt Quilt!!!

Last year when Girl's Camp ended I determined to make a T-Shirt quilt out of all the left over t-shirts of the years I was the Stake Camp Director. It would be a bit of closure as well as a memoir for me! Time came and went quickly and it always was pushed the the burner just after all my other more pressing issues and projects.....until this month! Since I was heading to Utah it was a perfect time to get them all put together with my mom's help (Thanks a million and three, Mom!!!) Before heading out there I cut them all apart and ironed interfacing to each one. While out there I squared them up all perfect and sewed them all together.

When I got home I made arrangements to quilt it. Because it was ALSO one of my Personal Progress goals for Young Women, I made sure I did ALL the work...even though those I was working with (or those helping me....thanks LynnEl and Mom) were far more skilled and experienced.

By the time I was done....and I still have the binding to do....I was all quilted out. Quilting overload was more like it. Right now I am ironing the binding in half and then going to sew it on. Wish me luck. With only this week before Camp I'm almost ready to just pay someone the big bucks to get it done for me. I have to go this part ALONE....that is the scary part. No one to say "Do it this way and it is easier." or "Make sure you keep this part straight." or even "You're doing great!"

Here are the pics....I am SO excited about this quilt! Not only did I do all the work on it but it is just plain cool!

Here is the finished quilt top...ready to be quilted.
Here I am sewing my edges on the back...yes, I totally thought I could do at least the BUYING the fabric part right all by myself. But nope! I got only half as much as I needed ... so I had to head back to the store and buy more. I bought my original at Walmart (since that is the Effingham Fabric Store...hahaha) but the Walmart in Champaign doesn't carry fabric. So I had to head to JoAnn's and find some that matched well enough. Because I knew of my symmetrical needs, we decided to put an edge of the new fabric all around the edges. It took a lot more time than I wanted it to (I think maybe our time was worth more $$$ than just buying a complete new backing and sewing one straight line down the middle -- oh well).
When we finally got the back all done we had to pin it to the coolest machine ever made. It took a million pins....I didn't want to pin it wrong so I was a great pin lady.No pics of me quilting...except on my phone that I don't know how to download to my computer. I'll have to txt it to my sister who can email it to me and I'll add it later. But here is the finished product....and then a close up (10 hours later) so you can see the cool quilting I did. I did a different design on each row. It was a lot of fun, actually! A lot more fun than I expected at least.Love these flames all around the entire quilt.
****************
Me Quilting :)



6 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Denise,
I see you needed some of those pictures of you quilting from my phone - so I emailed them to your email address - but they are sideways and I can't figure out how to turn them...maybe youcan figure out that part! I hope you are doing well with the binding part. Some people love that part the most - cuz it means you're just about finished! Then you have to add a label to the back - well, you can do that later! Congratulations on your quilt! You did an awesome job!

Lynda said...

Amazing! I told you just to think of the sewing machine as one of your wood tools and you'd be fine. Everyone at camp will be envious! Love all the pictures of Utah too. I missed the hike...so sad (haha). It does look fun tho. I've cleaned the whole house except the fingerprints on the front screen door and the chalk pictures on the sidewalk. I'll leave them as long as possible. Love the picture of Spencer and his foot wedgie. That was so funny. He even thought so. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is sooooo cool. And you are so amazing.

missy said...

I'm so impressed! I made a quilt several years ago just to learn how. It took me 18 months and has been in a closet ever since, but I finished! So I know the feeling. It looks great!

Nicky and Patrick said...

Very impressive. Way to go! Looks great!

Patty O. said...

This is BEAUTIFUL! I am sooo very impressed! Now we'll have to have you do an enrichment lesson about hoq to make a t-shirt quilt! : )