Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Taking Time to Write

There are a few things I have been saving in brain to write about....lest I forget. I am sure now that I am sitting at the computer to write them, retrieving them will be next to impossible (sadly, my brain and remembering isn't my strong point these days-I do much better writing things down so I DON'T forget).

Some statements are good enough to never be forgotten...or should never be forgotten. Or maybe they are good enough to make it into a little quote book for anyone and everyone to glean motivation or hope. Then there are those letters or notes saying "Thank You" or "I think you're wonderful" that SHOULD never be forgotten.

When I returned home from the hospital after having Spencer (#2) I was greeted with the sweetest words I think I had ever heard. Scott said, after just one day of being the full time parent, "I don't want to be the mom anymore!" I have NEVER forgotten those words. This is, of course, after he had played all day with Jordan, who was still in diapers and had forgotten to feed him lunch, etc. It was just sweet and I knew I would never forget it....even nearly 10 years later!

The other day we got in the van to go somewhere and Spencer said to me, "Mom, you're a good mom. You're doing a really good job at being our mom." I don't know what spurred the comment. And right now, this many moments and experiences later, I can't rightly remember what was happening before or even where we were going. All I know is how I felt. After being the sole parent for the entire month and hearing many times they wish that dad were here because I'm too mean (which is what they tell him when he is disciplining, that they wish I were around....hahahha), it was a breath of fresh air. I certainly hadn't felt like I was all that great, really. He asked if my mom had taught me how to be a good mom. I told him the teaching was by example more than words of how to do this or that. He then said that Kelsey would probably be a good mom too since she is watching what I do.

Wow! I wish that I could say his behavior since then has reflected that statement then...that he has been overly helpful and loving, etc. But, we all know children. But it is nice to know he feels that way. I know I did about my mom. I suppose I should have watched more carefully and taken notes since I would be mom someday too. But I didn't.

I was talking to my mom the other day about it all. She thinks I am a good mom. But then again, she's my mom and everything I do is nearly perfect. Moms are just that way....for which I am super glad. It's nice to chat with her and feel like I'm actually doing a good job. It is funny how she compares her parenting to mine and only sees where she fell short. Funny may not be the right word....but I totally understand, I do the same thing with her. We came to the conclusion that we are all good at different things and excel in our own arenas. Thankfully so!

**************

This week has been a busy one for Park District activities. Both Spencer and Kelsey are attending 2.....Soccer from 9:30 to 11:30 then Capture the Flag from 1:00 to 2:30. It has been super hot so they are pretty tired after each one. We come home, drink a lot more water and hang out INSIDE IN THE AIR CONDITIONING for a bit. Then yesterday they both had ball games in the evening. Poor kids were beat. But it is fun to watch them. They both do so well.

Cody has been a bit upset that he doesn't fall in the right age category...you have to be 6 to attend any of the clinics. So he has been chomping at the bit to go to Utah to see Grandma instead! Yesterday he asked if it was Thursday. I wondered why and told him, "No, it's Tuesday." He was pretty upset and wanted it to be Thursday so that "tomorrow we can go to see Grandma!" I laughed inside wondering why he didn't just want it to be Friday, but one the outside tried to console him.

For one of my Personal Progress goals, as well as an attempt to put my memories of Girls Camp in one place, I am making a t-shirt quilt of the 5 t-shirts of when I was the Stake Girls Camp Director. I will use the shirts more than once to make it big enough. I decided this last year...and now I am scrambling to finish it before I go to Camp again this year. I have til August 2nd. So, yesterday I ironed on all the interfacing. I'm going to take it home to work on it with my mom....the quilter in my family. She will help me cut all the squares, (Thanks, Mom!!!) and I can sew the straight lines. Then I'll bring it back here and I have a good friend with a quilting machine who has agreed to help me quilt and bind it. Thanks, LynnEl!!! I'm excited to have it done and take it to Girls Camp this year with me.

Let's see...what else?????

LOTS goes on....I ought to write more often, (then I'd remember more) but have been pretty busy this summer, especially this week, with the goings on around our house.

1 comment:

LynnEl Springer said...

I'm glad you took time to write those thoughts. Spencer is very insightful! How wonderful to have your son just all on his own say what a great mom you are - cuz you truly are! Your kids are so 'thoughtful'. I'm glad you're writing them down. And I'm glad you're a wonderful friend too! We all love you!