Sometimes you learn or realize things you don't expect! While that is true in many instances throughout my life, today at church epitomized it perfectly.
I love to sing. I love to sing the hymns at church. A Spanish Ward meets in my mom's building in Utah and so I have always thought it cool to look up the songs in Spanish. But today was different. Usually I can sing with an English copy of the Hymnal, today in our row there were only 2 English copies, clear at the other end of the row. Now, in Effingham this would not have been a problem at all - the rows aren't really that long. But in Utah the row fit EVERYONE from my mom's house (Nicky and Patick were there with their cutest little girl, Ellie, me and my 4 children as well as mom and dad). All counted there were 9 people in our row, and my mom goes to church in one of the smaller chapels. So...the 'other end' of the row was too far to see the words.
What I learned is how much I feel the Spirit when I sing. I don't just love to sing the hymns because I love to sing, but mostly because I love to feel the Spirit. Oft times my children are vying for my attention, even at church and I find it hard to listen intently to every word spoken. I do listen and hear a lot, but could so much more without the constancy of children all over me. Now, don't get me wrong...I love them and am grateful they are there and especially grateful they are in my life. And really, my children are very well behaved most of the time. But today, in a different setting, all very tired from being on vacation, each of them wanted on my lap or shoulder or something. And without being able to sing I really felt lost. I realized that the hymns bring a Spirit to my Sacrament Meeting worship and my life that I never can replace and don't want to.
I learned something else....but evidently it wasn't as profound because I can't seem to remember it tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment