Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Inherent Goodness

I believe that people are inherently good.

Take for instance a story I just read out of the New Era that was re-written in another book on Modern Heroes. The Evan Project is about a 13 yr old boy whose family had gone to China to adopt a baby sister. After seeing the condition of the orphanage this little boy, Evan, wanted to help. So he went door to door collecting funds for the orphanage. He exceeded his goal of $2175 and received $2418.45. His list was very specific as to how he wanted the orphanage to spend the money...fixing a cleft palate, a new washer and dryer, etc.

People are inherently good!

Then there are the more close to home examples. We have a working 6 year relationship with our water purifier guy. He is affectionately referred to in our home as S the Water Guy. He was in town yesterday and wanted to install the new filtration system. He had called and was coming NEXT Wed. But he was in town and had hopes of getting it done. I was out all afternoon. His call came and I had NO QUALMS in giving our our garage door code and allowing him into my home. His next call, "Where is the light switch to the Laundry Room?" It was then that I remembered that I had JUST opened the chute and a mountainous pile of dirty laundry lay between him and the water purifier. Oh well....he's a friend. As I got home and went to change the laundry I realized he had wiped the washer clean.

People are inherently good!

And what about the cashier who actually IS nice and greets you kindly at Walmart (so you can HONESTLY click YES when asked on the little machine you swipe your card through)? Or the guy while driving who lets you in? Or the staff at the Library who know you by name? Jordan went to check out a book on Tues evening with MY card and since the lady knew ME she was more than happy to accommodate Jordan.

The experiences of inherent goodness are abounding everywhere in the world. Some are big...and most are small. Like my good friend said this morning, "sometimes it's the cumulative effect of the little things that makes the biggest difference." Regardless, there are definite heroes among us that ARE nice, ARE kind, DO give others the benefit of the doubt, ARE trying to make this world a better, more peaceful place.

A friend from High School has a little thing going about being a "Day Maker." He is all into doing the little things that make someone else's day. In fact, THAT is what he wanted for his birthday....to have us all do something that made someone else's day.

So, despite the barrage of cynical, judgmental, non trusting, and harsh realities of some people's behavior that I have recently seen splat in my face, I still believe the world is a good place. It seems to me that the world tries hard to make us that negative way. People steal when you trust them, judge you when you are kind to them, spread rumors unjustly, etc. (The list could go on and on and on, I am sure) But this is from the MINORITY! MOST people are not this way and the world IS a fabulously wonderful place to be....and this time of life is a GREAT time to be alive. So much is going for us. It doesn't matter the economic situation of the nation, people can be (and ARE) happy. They are trying their best to make their corner of the world a happy, peaceful place to live.

And so...despite the minority showing me the crass side of life, I will continue to give others the benefit of the doubt, trust when trusting isn't the norm, and be kind when the world shows the ugly side of its face. For really, they probably aren't that way through and through but just having a hard moment where we all don't act perfectly in the face of trial.

So, I'd LOVE to hear YOUR stories of the inherent goodness of the people in your lives that through their simple acts make a difference for positive. Maybe you are that person for someone else.

4 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

I don't have a story to tell just yet, but I will think about it! But I just wanted to say how very much I loved hearing about the "Day Maker" dude! What a GREAT, GREAT idea! I think I want to try to be a day maker too! I also think it's interesting that my word verification for your blog today is so appropriate - altho it's letters are rearranged a bit - it says "noctie" - but when I saw it I immediately changed it and read "NOTICE!" So appropo!

Jackie said...

I can think of several small incidents where I know the inherent goodness of people have been aimed my way as answers to prayers. Whether they are inspired acts of kindness or something purely out of the goodness of someone's heart, they were both so appreciated. I don't know if we can really separate the two (inspired acts/inherent goodness) because surely these little miracles are not coincidental. That is a fun and inspiring idea your day maker friend has!

Patty O. said...

You know, I can think of millions of things people have done for me and so, so many of them have been done by YOU!!! YOu made us feel totally welcome when we moved here. You love my kids enough to laugh at their quirks and deal with their craziness, but never in a condescending way. You listen to me all the time and are always helping me put things into perspective. And you remind me of how good the world is with your positive attitude. And just today at church, you made me feel the spirit so strongly. Your testimony is so contagious and that is the best gift of kindness there is!

Nicky and Patrick said...

Thanks for sharing that. I really needed to hear that today. Your stories make me happy. I love you!