Sunday School today was fabulous. We spoke of education -- which, incidentally, was a topic of one of the talks in Sacrament Meeting. I love learning, so as the Brother spoke of making all experiences educational my ears perked up. Listening to the quotes from the General Authorities about education brought hope to my heart and lit a fire within me. We spoke mostly in Sunday School about the spiritual education...how very important THAT education is. I would have to agree whole heartedly. I loved listening as we read scripture after scripture of "WHAT" to learn, "WHY" we learn, and "HOW" we learn. I don't know near enough....but I sure want to be better in this area.
The Relief Society lesson was on Elder Steven E. Snow's message of last Gen Conf. I will FOR SURE be going back to re - read this talk. I have oft desired a sure fire way of teaching my children resiliency. The teacher never used that exact word, but it sure seemed close enough. Her point was "obedience." The 4 points she made fit well with my idea of helping my children to be resilient through trials, hardship, and struggles....through LIFE.
- Have faith
- Have an eternal perspective
- Follow the Prophets
- Be of good cheer
And what made it even better was the very familiar closing hymn, "Come, Follow Me." The 3rd verse says,
Is it enough alone to know
That we must follow him below
While traveling through this vale of tears?
No, this extends to holier spheres.
That we must follow him below
While traveling through this vale of tears?
No, this extends to holier spheres.
Mom leaned over to me and pointed out the spelling of "vale." I had never really noticed, or looked at it previously. I think I had always assumed it was like a veil over our eyes. Why? I don't know...it doesn't really make sense that way. But .... "maybe 'valley?'" we suggested. It brought on a whole new meaning to following the Savior....not just through the lack of sight into our premortal existence, but through this valley of tears called life. Upon looking it up it means "a valley, the world, or mortal or earthly life: vale of tears." Interesting...and a good thought to end my Sabbath meetings.
All in all....church was good. I am always grateful to feel the Spirit. I wonder if my scripture reading last night aided in my experience of today. I was reading in 1 Nephi 17 (ish) about when Nephi breaks his bow. I learned something new this time around from one of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon. Yes, Nephi doesn't complain. Yes, he is resilient and resourceful by making a new bow. And Yes, he goes to his father, the prophet, to find a place to go hunt. But interestingly enough, this time around I noticed that when his father prophet, Lehi, inquires of the Lord as to where Nephi should hunt beasts, the Lord points him to the Liahona.....or....to the scriptures. THAT is where I can find MY answers too --- through the words of the prophets that always lead us to the words of the scriptures, the edicts of God.
Friends and family and good food balanced out my spiritual feast of this Sabbath.
1 comment:
Wow. I super love that idea. I love that verse of the song but had never really thought about it as I did when I just read it here. I mean - we really don't change when we get there. And we have to love obeying so much that it becomes who we are because we don't get to quit once life is over - it just becomes really who we are. Awesome. You're awesome.
Post a Comment