I have always been a bit of a stickler about bed times for my children. They seem to be happier when they get enough sleep. They seem to sleep better, respond to me and each other better, and are just generally more at ease and resilient. However, lately, they have been going to bed later. I, personally, am a pretty early riser so I tend to get pretty wiped out pretty early too. It works well for me to have them in bed early. But, last summer it got a bit later, and this summer is seeming to follow suit.
So tonight after the kitchen was cleaned up and the kids were playing Scott and I decided to survey the rain in the basement problems. One thing led to another and I soon found myself on the roof cleaning the gutters out. I needed to do it a LONG time ago, but.....haven't gotten around to it with all the rain AND all my "stuff" to do. My bad!
As I waited for Scott to change out of his work clothes and get a bucket to throw the "gunk" into I noticed that the sun was setting (or at least beginning to) and as it shone through the trees it was mighty beautiful. The perspective from up high is so much greater. Things were beautiful and I began to think about all the fun my children have in my backyard. I noticed my garden, struggling a bit, but it has provided an abundance of peas that I have found my children LOVE...love to pick and love to eat.
It wasn't long and out came the kids, all in their pajamas, to catch lightning bugs. They are a friendly site now. I remember the first one I EVER saw. I was in TN visiting a friend. It amazed me. And they still do. The squeals from the kids was fun to listen to as I cleaned out the gutters.....my "deforestation" process.
At 9:00 pm I finally descended that ladder....dirty and smelly, but happy that 1/2 the roof was done. For our family scripture study I decided to have the children share their favorite scripture story or person. It is fun to listen to what they know and love. Because I have so many favorites I usually just pick the one that comes to my mind in the instant. Tonight it was about Nephi when he was bound by his brothers. Regardless of their insensitivity, their meanness, when the cords were let loose he frankly forgave them. A lesson I need to remember always. Forgiving isn't always the easiest action to take. But harboring ill thoughts takes more out of me...more energy I need for so many other more important things. I like to learn from the Spirit....and I know it is from the Spirit when I learn it from what I, myself, say.
"Sometimes He lets it rain....sometimes He lets the fierce winds blow. Sometimes it takes a storm to lead a heart where it can grow. He can move mountains of grief and oceans of pain, but sometimes He lets it rain."
Always grateful to learn. Always grateful to see smiles on my children's faces. Always grateful to work with Scott.
No comments:
Post a Comment