Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Summer Firsts

Life itself brings a lot of "firsts." Taking notice of them has always been a practice I have enjoyed. I like the "firsts"....am sad about the "lasts." And so...as our summer begins here at the Demers' home, we are experiencing some firsts.

  • First Campout! Camping out has always been a fun time for me. I actually look forward to it...and so do my children. So when they suggested we put up the tent I was all there! We watch a video at night then go to sleep. Of course, sleep is a relative term, but no worries. It is all part of the experience. Suffice it to say that on Tuesday we ALL slept INSIDE and went to bed VERY early.
The Vacation Cottage in the backyard

Believe it or not, Spencer NEVER sleeps All The Way on a bed.

Another believe it or not....I slept IN BETWEEN these two. It was the 2nd night so I did actually sleep. I NEVER sleep the first night, but the 2nd I am so tired I can't help BUT sleep...squished or not.

  • First Day at the Swimming Pool! We have bought a swimming pass for the last few years as a family. It is way worth it for me since I don't feel obligated to stay all day like I would with paying each time. The kids enjoy it...and so do I, actually. It is a great way to cool off in the heat of the summer. Sometimes we go at night...when it is less crowded and just to wind down. Getting to bed is always easier when the kids are exhausted! As for this first time -- quite a phenomenon to NOT have to keep a close watch on my children. Cody found friends right off and is able to keep himself occupied and having fun without me worrying about him drowning. Jordan and Spencer were off doing things with friends and so was Kelsey. WOW! Now the money is double worth it.
  • Another Swimming Pool First....Kelsey is tall enough to go down the big slide. So she spent MOST of her time there.
  • And yet another Swimming Pool First....Cody decided he is big enough to go down the Froggy Slide AND the Boat Slide ALL BY HIMSELF. I didn't even suggest it. He just did it!
  • First Summer Softball Game! It is fun to watch and listen to Kelsey play (and talk about playing) softball. Her first game was yesterday. Luckily I got a couple pictures of her warming up since the huge storm came JUST as they were GOING to start....and it was canceled. So technically, it wasn't a first PLAYED....that will come Friday (if none of this stinkin' rain stays around!!!!)
Kelsey fielding a grounder in warm ups (doesn't she look like a pro already? Glove down and ready IN THE MIDDLE of her feet which are shoulder width apart, squatting adequately, eyes ready for the grounder!)

Throwing....looking like a pro! Elbow leading out first, stepping with the left foot, eyes on target - and appropriate facial expression!

  • First Summer Read Activity at the Library! Because of the storm the Library brought all their outdoor activities INSIDE...wise! The theme this year is "Read on the Wild Side." The children's section of the Library is decked out in jungle vines everywhere. Last night they had face painting, balloon animals, a couple crafts, cool safari hats, and a funny guy concert...Ray Brayburn (or something). He was funny and the kids REALLY enjoyed his funny songs about colors and homework and a dog's work and traveling in the summer ("Are we there yet?")

Spencer was chosen to help Ray and be in his tamborine band. I was pretty impressed with how well Spencer kept the beat. Here is a picture of Ray teasing Spencer about his name. Spencer told him his name and Ray kept calling him "Bill." It brought a chuckle from ALL the kids, not just Spencer.




And so.....firsts will come throughout all of life and I will continue to take notice of them. Hooray for summer! Hooray for Firsts!

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

What a fun summer you are all having already! I always thought my mom was pretty cool, but compared to YOU - wow, I wish I could be in your family and do all your fun things!!! You are an awesome mother! My mother got to be my softball coach - I bet you get to do that sometime soon yourself! I want to be on your team when you do get to be the coach! Kelsey looks like she'll be the best player on the team! Go, Kelsey!

Patty O. said...

Wow, your tent is ENORMOUS! Looks like so much fun. We put ours up in the family room last month, but Danny and Char wisely chose to sleep in bed rather than the tent. I sense they will be as into roughing it as much as their mother, which is to say not much!