Sunday, May 31, 2009

REMEMBER

I don't know where YOUR little revelation/inspiration spot is...but mine is in the shower. For some reason a lot of other things float down the drain and I am able to hear the quiet whisperings of the Spirit better there. I am also able to look deeper inside my own soul and listen there too.

This morning was no different...not that EVERY shower brings grandiose realizations, just when they come it is usually in the shower.

We camped out last night. I enjoy camping out with my family...though I get very little sleep. This morning Spencer and I were up first. I went in to shower and get ready for church and left him out there....wondering all along how long the others would sleep with Spencer out there.

In the shower I began to wonder (yet again) why it was that Spencer was sent to me. It seems that so many other mothers would be much better at mothering him. He is an angel for his teachers. And I know other mothers that would handle him so much differently than I do, or can. It's sad, sometimes, to wonder such things knowing I'm not the best mother in town. But this morning I realized that regardless of how very many OTHER mothers could parent him with more skill, he was sent to ME. And I have a lot to learn from him...more so than I already have. Then I had a bit of a smile in my heart thinking that just maybe HE had something to learn from me too.

In Sacrament Meeting I seemed to notice children and their parents. I would never think I could take on their responsibilities, but maybe they could do better (just like me). With my new realization I began to wonder about God's plan for each of us.....why we were sent the children we were, what we are to learn from them and they from us, etc. God's plan proves us and gets us ready to live with Him again. So, that is my new approach inside my heart to parenting .... learning what I must so I can return to live with my Father in Heaven again. Along the way I need to prove myself AND help my children to gain the testimonies they will need to make wise choices in their individual lives - thus enabling them to prove themselves and return to God someday. On paper it all seems so easy.....but with my new realization I feel stronger to do it.

Interesting to me that our Sunday School lesson was on the Plan of Salvation! Maybe the Lord was trying to tell me something today. This plan of HIS is meant for my happiness, my eternal joy and life. As I taught the Young Women today: "Life is not about life. Life is about ETERNITY!" (a quote from a good friend) And so I must continually remember!

1 comment:

LynnEl Springer said...

You are so right! This life is about eternity! I tried so hard to teach that to my YW when I was the YW Pres in Rantoul. I don't know if they understood, as most of them are not active anymore. :( So sad. It makes so much sense to me tho!

When my children each received their patriarchial blessing, I realized how very, very special each child was and and how very blessed I was to be selected to be their mother! You are a chosen mother too! I will not be surprised to hear from you someday about how absolutely terrific your children's patriarchial blessings are also! We do have a wonderful life as a mother, don't we? Have a wonderful, wonderful day!