As I have been thinking about my new calling as YW President I have thought more and more about asking the masses about what they wish they had learned or known back when they were Young Women. So...there you have it. What do you wish you had learned, or wish you had known, or are glad you figured out, etc.....back when you were a Young Woman?
While in Branson I asked my mom and sisters. Their answers made me think.....I wish I knew that being different was ok. I wish I learned the scriptures more. I wish I learned how to come out of my shell. And there were more. I realize that we are all different and I will be following the Spirit in my calling, but it still would be nice to know how to prepare these current Young Women for life ahead. So write away, my friends!
3 comments:
I wish I knew that it was okay to NOT know everything about the church and the scriptures in order to serve a mission! I was so afraid to serve a mission because I didn't think I would be able to answer anyone's questions! But I guess it didn't matter so much, since I got married just after I turned 20.
I also loved knowing that my YW leaders (especially my teacher) were my friends. I cannot tell you who my YW President or counselors were, but I know who my teachers were and still remember them so much - so I guess my recommendation to you would be to be the best teacher ever who exudes love to the YW no matter what they do or say. I knew that I never wanted to disappoint my teacher or my bishop and consequently, because they had such high expectations and love for me, I tried really hard to always do what was right. You will not only be there leader, but probably also their teacher!
Hahaha -- like mother like daughter I guess -- we have big mouths. (me and my mom - you know I mean us right?) Anyway -- I wish I would've believed that it would all pass. It wouldn't last forever and to not take it all so seriously. Maybe that's what I need to realize about all of life come to think of it. But as the YW Pres I am glad that I learned #1 to text and #2 to respect the agency of the girls and lay off the guilt. That one took me a while. :) and #3 to not be afraid to talk to my counselors about their non-participation and passive-aggressive behavior. I'm sure you won't have that problem. You're gonna be phenomenal!
My wife, Anna, has been asking this same question this last week. She just got called to by the Mia-Maids Adviser. :-)
Post a Comment