Sunday, May 24, 2009

Change is Inevitable

I well remember sitting at my friend's kitchen table just before graduating from college and then heading on my mission. Our paths were not going to cross near as often. She was getting married and moving on. I was graduating and going on a mission. Chances were high we wouldn't be as close as we had in years past. Really, ALL of my life would be changing. The routine I had been accustomed to for 4 years at college would DRASTICALLY change. The people I saw daily, the buildings and landscape -- it all would change. It was a moment I will never forget. I don't remember the conversation but I remember one phrase that has stuck with me ever since, "The only constant in life is change."

And so it is!

Pres Packer called me into his office. I knew what was coming so I wasn't completely blind sided. A new call. I had felt it in my heart...I just didn't know WHAT it would be. So, I am now the Effingham Branch Young Women's President. Daunting? You betcha! But....like the saying goes, "The only constant in life is change." I no longer will be in the same routine, seeing the same people, etc. Life will be different all the way around. But I will settle in just as I always have.

Attending today for the 1st time was great! I LOVE these Young Women and it will be a joy to be close to them each week. The "administrative" side is the daunting side...but I will get it sooner or later.

The new call also means no more seminary every morning. THAT is a calling I loved from the get go! I LOVE the scriptures and have loved discussing them with the youth every morning. I have learned so very much....things I will be able to take with me forever and ever.

For 5 years I have been the Stake Girls Camp Director. Pres Lunt called me into his office when I was 6 months pregnant. Because he doesn't see me all that often, I don't think he realized. But I KNEW the calling was for me. I had felt it on my way TO his office as well as WHILE I was sitting with him. Immediately so many things popped into my head from the Spirit -- a theme, a song, etc. And off I went. I believe I have also loved this calling from the get go. So it is hard to let it go. I have loved the Young Women, their Leaders, and EVERYTHING about camp. Someone asked me if I was relieved at all. My answer, NO! It wasn't a burden...it was a joy. Sure, it was a busy calling, especially in the summer. But I loved it.

The only constant in life is change. There you have it....a change for me. A change for our family. A change for the Branch. With most changes there is a grieving process (at least for me). I will MISS the things I am moving on from....but will be glad to fill the space with the newness of a new calling and new faces. Don't get me wrong....I will MISS those other things. But such is the way of the church. I have new things to learn and many ways in which I can continue to grow and progress, hopefully becoming better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't think of a better person for the job....or ANY job, for that matter!

Brittney Richards said...

So does that mean that you are not doing stake girls camp this year? How sad! But you will do great as the YW president.

LynnEl Springer said...

You are the best person ever to be called to this new position. The girls will love you - and I know you will love them!! You will make a big difference in their lives, just as you have in the lives of your college students! I'm so happy for you - and I love that you called me to tell me too! I feel so special!! :) I couldn't leave a comment any sooner tho, cuz our space bar on our keyboard doesn't work at home - which makes it very hard to read when everything runs on forever!!