Tuesday, May 5, 2009

BYU Women's Conference

Cradled beneath the majesty of the Rocky Mountains I felt wonderful! I was aware of a feeling I had growing up beneath them....security, strength, protection, awe. It was under these circumstances long ago that I gained answers to prayers, solved the mysteries of my teenage life, and enjoyed the peacefulness of being close to God. It is no wonder, then, that on this recent trip to Utah I was able to recognize a similar state of awareness, a similar sensitivity and understanding - strength from within. All worries melted away as I felt their strength. As I drove around, or walked the campus of BYU, I was within their care; they were within my sight. And I had a WONDERFUL time!!!!

The Spirit is strong at BYU. Add 15,000+ women trying to do what is right and spiritual messages and the Spirit is unrestrained. This entry could go on forever and ever and ever. But I will keep it to bullet points of what I learned either by the Spirit, experience, or what I listened to.

The top 50 things I learned at BYU Women's Conference:
  1. Friendships can happen fast and come in all shapes and sizes - follow your heart
  2. BYU Mint Brownies are still fabulous --- so are the Chicken Taco Salads
  3. I miss the majesty of the mountains
  4. I learn best by the Spirit - it will fill in where I can't so I must be obedient then do ALL I can
  5. I must keep my light shining brightly because I never know who will need it or when
  6. Love knows no bounds when the Spirit is present
  7. MY spiritual journey is very personal to me - tailored for me and special to me
  8. If I align my path with HIS, He will make my path better - so I can either go WITH or WITHOUT Him
  9. I must stop long enough to listen
  10. The only fatal mistake is giving up (C.S. Lewis)
  11. Satan is becoming more and more bold and so....so must I!
  12. I want to be someone who makes others feel worthwhile
  13. I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13)
  14. I want it to be absolutely impossible to be
  15. I learn best by the Spirit - it will fill in where I can't so I must be obedient then do ALL I canconstrained from doing what the Lord asks -- to have faith even amidst hardships
  16. I truly am NOTHING without Jesus Christ
  17. Remember to see the positive side of adversity - the adversary is real and knows women all too well
  18. "This must be a good day because there's already adversity." Julie B. Beck
  19. The Anti-Christ is ALWAYS Anti-Family and anything Anti-Family is ALWAYS Anti-Christ
  20. Because I KNOW I am involved in His work --- that knowledge changes everything (every aspect) of my life.
  21. Life is a process not an event
  22. The adversary is determined -- he's running out of time
  23. I need to use my BEST EFFORTS in parenting
  24. In all I do I will need the Spirit with me MORE now than ever before - I must seek the Spirit dailiy
  25. Love them! Love them!! LOVE THEM!!! (speaking of our children)
  26. Though I want my children to come to me with anything and everything, I want to also teach them that there is a BETTER source to go to for ALL things
  27. Love is something felt in the heart
  28. Family matters most - no matter how infrequently you see them
  29. The Lord sends people to me because He loves me
  30. Out of all the billions of people on the earth there is only one me - I want to make a difference
  31. Satan wants us down low because when we are low we can't lift others
  32. You just look better when you're smiling. (Pres Hinckley)
  33. Judging others is easy when I'm feeling selfish
  34. Love is a gift of the Spirit
  35. It is hard to put into words a feeling of the heart
  36. My children mean the world to me
  37. Though I make a lot of parenting mistakes, I'm not alone...and the Lod will help me to know what to do and how to do it
  38. We are all just women trying to do our best and do what is right
  39. Live my dreams!
  40. Most people are good and kind and will talk to you
  41. The Lord knows ME
  42. I love to bask in the Spirit - long for it, crave it
  43. It was a lot easier to walk BYU Campus 15 years ago
  44. Always trust in the Lord for ALL things - He will never lead me wrong
  45. In my "directed life" I must be directed by the Spirit
  46. My trials are because of God's love - which is His way of proving me and helping me to get where I want to be, need to be, where HE wants/needs me to be.
  47. My struggles will make me stronger
  48. There are tests of mortality - then the tests of faith are added by Satan and his minions
  49. I can ride out ANY trial WITH Christ
  50. Going off on my own will NEVER work (away from my Guide in God)
  51. Sometimes my greatest inspiration comes at the MOST difficult times
This is NOT an exhaustive list by any stretch. To be with so many women was neat to me. Claustrophobic at times, yes....but neat in my own little way. A lot of the time I was left to ponder to myself. The other times I was with mom and my Aunts having a ball. The Lord is good to me. I ran into an old friend from High School AND a companion from my mission. It brought a greater appreciation to how Alma felt when he met up once again with the sons of Mosiah and was grateful to know they were still brothers in the Lord. My knees were weak....I could have easily fallen to the ground out of shear surprise and excitement!

My friend from High School

My Companion from my mission

Then there were the friends I just met at classes or the concert at night. The Spirit speaks boldly at times. I am grateful to have friends that follow it immediately.

A big highlight for me was meeting Merilee Webb in person. She is more fabulous in person than on TV and what a feeling of love I felt from her. She led us, the ENTIRE Marriot Center, in singing "Now Let Us Rejoice." WOW!!!! That's all I can say.....she is motivational, inspirational, and quite a lady.


It is funny how and when things touch my heart. Even watching a funny commercial when I walked in the door one night late brought a phrase front and center..."If your heart is always open love will find its way in."




Spending time with my mom was fun. Spending time with my Idaho family was great too. In our conversation I took away, "Critical people are never happy." Spending time at BYU was great. Spending time in the mountains with a friend was fabulous. Spending time learning from the Spirit is priceless. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!

1 comment:

LynnEl Springer said...

I love LOVE your list - and many of the things in your list were in my notes as well! Isn't Sis. Beck the best? Oh, we love her! And we love you! What a great experience it was to be in Utah for Women's Conference. I'm definitely going back next year, except this time I will stay until after the HMQS is over! (Home Machine Quilt Show - in Sandy)...something to look forward to! I wonder what this next year will bring until we get to WC again....hmmmm.