This year we studied the New Testament in seminary. Today was our last day. As nice as it will be to not have to get up so early (which I probably will keep doing so I can exercise BEFORE the kids get up), I will miss it terribly. I will miss the daily morning feast in the scriptures. I will miss a lot of it.
The last book in the New Testament is REVELATION. Admittedly, I was nervous to teach something I didn't feel I knew well enough to explain to myself. But as I have studied with the right tools I have gained a love for this book.
Lately I have had a struggle with Satan...he seems to want me more than I would desire him to have ANY part of me. His influence seems to pop up at the most inopportune times. Quite frankly, I hate the guy. Though I know he only has the power that I give him, it is still hard. He knows me well...darnit! Well, Revelation is all about Good vs Evil. The "lamb" vs the Beast. God vs Satan. John's revelation of the 7 seals and all that stuff...great....but what it ultimately boils down to is good vs evil, how to handle it, how we handled it in the War in Heaven, and how to handle it now so we can be on the winning team. We know the outcome....now we just need to align ourselves on THAT side and all will be well. Not to say that disasters won't strike, heartache and trials won't wave their faces, etc....just that we know who will ultimately win.
One of my favorite scripture passages cross references with Rev. 17:14 where we see that the "Lamb shall overcome them (the church of the Devil)." It is in 1 Nephi 14:10-14
10 And he said unto me: Behold there are save atwo churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the bother is the church of the cdevil; wherefore, dwhoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the ewhore of all the earth.
12 And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were afew, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon ball the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw.
13 And it came to pass that I beheld that the great mother of abominations did gather together multitudes upon the face of all the earth, among all the nations of the Gentiles, to afight against the Lamb of God.
14 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were aarmed with brighteousness and with the cpower of God in great glory.
I love most how though we are few in number we are armed with righteousness! There are TONS of cross references there! HIS righteousness....HIS power. It can be ours!
Good vs Evil....a difficult time to be alive when both churches are in such conflict, both exist, and Satan knows he is running out of time. But it is a glorious time too, when the power of God is manifest so brilliantly throughout the world.
A quote caught my eye and has stuck itself somewhere in the recesses of my heart. Elder Carlos E. Asay, a member of the Seventy said,
"There is a lie -- a vicious lie -- circulating among the Latter-day Saints and taking its toll among the young. And it is that a 'balanced man' is one who deliberately guards against becoming too righteous. this lie would have you believe that is it possible to live successfully and happily as a 'double-minded man' with one foot is Babylon and one foot in Zion. (see James 1:8)" (in Conf. Report, Apr. 1992, 59; or Ensign, May 1992, 41)
Pres Packer states that "The distance between the Church and a world set on a course which we cannot follow will steadily increase." (Ensign, May 1994, 21)
This idea that we have to choose sides is strong. I know where I want to be...but do my actions always show the same? My mind is made up....but I now need my behavior to follow.
I love most how though we are few in number we are armed with righteousness! There are TONS of cross references there! HIS righteousness....HIS power. It can be ours!
Good vs Evil....a difficult time to be alive when both churches are in such conflict, both exist, and Satan knows he is running out of time. But it is a glorious time too, when the power of God is manifest so brilliantly throughout the world.
A quote caught my eye and has stuck itself somewhere in the recesses of my heart. Elder Carlos E. Asay, a member of the Seventy said,
"There is a lie -- a vicious lie -- circulating among the Latter-day Saints and taking its toll among the young. And it is that a 'balanced man' is one who deliberately guards against becoming too righteous. this lie would have you believe that is it possible to live successfully and happily as a 'double-minded man' with one foot is Babylon and one foot in Zion. (see James 1:8)" (in Conf. Report, Apr. 1992, 59; or Ensign, May 1992, 41)
Pres Packer states that "The distance between the Church and a world set on a course which we cannot follow will steadily increase." (Ensign, May 1994, 21)
This idea that we have to choose sides is strong. I know where I want to be...but do my actions always show the same? My mind is made up....but I now need my behavior to follow.
Revelation 18:4
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, aCome bout of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her csins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Come out of Babylon! Why? To escape the sins of the world and the plagues that will come! Reason enough for me!
As we come to the end....of Revelation....a wonderful day! The world will be overcome by the blood of the Lamb once again (Rev 12:11), and by our testimonies and our loving our testimonies more than our lives. That is how we overcame Lucifer there in the War in Heaven and that is the same way we will overcome him now.
Glory be...he will be bound. And how? 1 Nephi 22:26 And because of the arighteousness of his people, bSatan has no power; wherefore, he cannot be loosed for the space of cmany years; for he hath no power over the hearts of the people, for they dwell in righteousness, and the Holy One of Israel dreigneth.
Wow!!! Because of OUR righteousness, my righteousness, Satan will be bound!
Pres Kimball says that "when Satan is bound in a single home -- when Satan is bound in a single life -- the Millennium has already begun in that home, in that life." Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 172.
Bummer that he will then be loosed again. He will gather all his followers and surround the Saints. That may seem a bit scary to me. But to be present when fire comes down and devours him....THAT will be a glorious day! To be present then would surely be a journal worthy day!
Then He, God, will dwell with them and will wipe away their tears, and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor pain. (Rev 21:3-4) for "He that overcomteth shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." (vs 7).
In closing his record, John shares an invitation with each of us...and invitation to the wedding, to our wedding with Christ. Rev 22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will let him take the water of life freely."
Our invitation is to COME! Come unto HIM....all ye that labor and are heavy laden. And HE will give us rest! He will overcome the world. And I want to be right there with Him.
1 comment:
I want to COME too!
Post a Comment