Last night after everyone was in bed Spencer kept coming out with a wiggly tooth. He's been nursing this tooth for a long time - wiggling it and trying to get it to come out. Well, last night it looked like it was past ready. It hurt and yet he wanted to do it himself. I offered and offered (trying not to get frustrated that it was PAST MY bedtime and this was taking WAY too long -- mom could just stick my hand in there and yank it out lickity split). His response put me in my place (gently) and I backed off. "I can't have you doing everything for me all the time. I have to learn to do things MYSELF!"
He worked at it ... in a bit of pain ... but eventually got it out. He was so proud of himself. It meant a whole lot more to him to get it out himself than to just GET the wiggly thing out! And I learned a bit of a lesson too. It was late but a late night missing a bit of sleep is a fine sacrifice to watch my son do something on his own and then to see his elation!
No comments:
Post a Comment