Saturday, May 9, 2009

Nothing Beats It!

The Perfect Day! What makes a perfect day? In the movie "The Ultimate Gift," a little girl who is dying is asked that question. Spending time with those she loves while they are doing something THEY love is as close as I can remember to what she said. THIS, then, would be a perfect day for me!

Cody, Kelsey, and I ended up "camping out" last night downstairs in the extra bedroom. And, yes, I was squished in the middle of them listening to them sleep and being grateful I am their mom. That is an ultimate feeling -- Nothing beats it!

We slept in and then just went about the day. They were pretty eager to help me with the garden...we planted the rest of our tomatoes. They thoroughly enjoyed digging in the dirt. Their simple excitement over finding worm after worm was part of my perfect day -- Nothing beats it!

The Elders came over and helped around the yard....it is done for another week. I even got the areas in the front where the trees aren't there anymore seeded. Working outside is the ultimate feeling for me. Nothing beats it!


Strawberry jam is truly THE best of all bests! I got some strawberries on sale yesterday and made LOTS of freezer jam. It is the best. I don't know how Scott can NOT like it -- Nothing beats it!

Just as we were heading out on a bike ride Scott and the boys got back. They were pooped but had had a great time. I love that look in Spencer's eye when I can SEE he is content and happy. I am glad they had fun. Jordan was just pooped. I think he is getting to that teenager type status where he needs extra sleep. He JUST woke up (at 7 pm --- I asked him if he wanted some chicken. No, waffles. He thought he had slept all night and it was 7 AM. I remember doing that on summer day when we lived in California. Funny kid...so I made him waffles on what HE thought was Sunday....). I understand.....a week at Girls Camp exhausts me regardless of how blasted fun it is. And so....seeing their delight AS WELL AS going on a bike ride with Cody and Kelsey....pure delight! Nothing beats it!


Cody found a caterpillar today and was so excited we all laid down on the driveway to watch it. Amazingly it stopped and started eating a leaf! Wow! Cody was enthralled and totally attached to this little crawling thing. He eventually picked it up and it became "HIS." It's name? Mr. Caterpillar. At one point he came running in saying he was teaching it to crawl on his arm and onto his shirt. What pure joy that kid showed on his face. Nothing beats it!

Kelsey still believes she is as beautiful as the world. THAT makes me smile. I hope that she NEVER forgets that...no matter how the world will tell her otherwise as she grows up. Her smile and her love are indescribable....Nothing beats it!

We got Spencer's pottery back from his last class. Wow...talented boy I have! Here are his creations.....his joy in art is wonderful. Nothing beats it!

Grilled chicken! Guacamole! Fresh strawberries! Smiling children! Cherry cobbler and ice cream! Nothing beats it!

So.....though I still am bombarded with daily life, decisions that weigh heavily on my soul, and prayers I still pray are answered in this lifetime....TODAY has been a great day, near perfect! Nothing beats it!

1 comment:

Amy P said...

thanks you! absolutely beautiful - children, love of life, - thanks for sharing!!!