Sunday, January 16, 2011

1st EVER Peeled Potato

I REALLY should have gotten a picture of it....but I didn't!

When I was JUST home from the hospital after having Kelsey I received a card from Scott's aunt .... I'm sure I still have it "somewhere" but the sentiment of it was "you have a baby girl now...in 15 years you'll  have a best friend."  I couldn't stop the tears!

Before having Kelsey I didn't really care if I had ALL boys.  I like boys!  And I don't do girly things OR do hair.  So, really, I was a bit nervous to have a girl.  How would I ever do her hair?!  But now that I have Kelsey I can't imagine life without a daughter...someone to compliment me on things guys just never notice or never understand.  How she 'gets it' at such a young age, I will never know.  She just does.  On those days I don't feel very pretty or whatever Kelsey lets me know that my shoes are so cool, or I am so pretty, or my glasses make me look so good, or...or...or...or!  I love it!

The other day we went shopping for a top to go with her skirt.  She's been wanting to wear it but I have been a slug to go get something to match.  We had a good time trying on sweaters and finding JUST THE RIGHT one.  I enjoyed it mostly because it was HER trying on the clothes, not me. 

She wore the outfit to church today and got LOTS of compliments. She did look pretty good, if I do say so myself.  NO pic there either...what am I thinking?  After she put on her sweater today she was all smiles.  In fact, she was all mine!  I loved having her sit next to me in Sacrament Meeting with her arm in mine and head on my shoulder.  It wasn't just once that she would look up and tell me she loved me.  It was a fun day to just hang out.

When we got home she followed me to my room and closed the door.  "Can we just have a YOU and ME day today?  Where just YOU and ME do things?"  So that is pretty much what we did!  We had a great time.  She wanted to play a game, but first we looked through a Disney World book and dreamed of going on a fun vacation.  Then it was her turn to pick out a game.  TWISTER is was!  Good ole mom showed Kelsey how it's done.  We laughed and laughed at all the funny positions we found ourselves in.  She laughed most to get me into some pretty contorted positions.  Fun times!

Then I HAD to get some dinner cooking or else we would have NOTHING to eat.  She came to help me.  She's been helping me a lot in the kitchen lately.  This is yet another area I felt when I was in the "having kids" mode of life that I felt I lacked a ordinary amount of desire AND skill in....the KITCHEN!  How on earth would I EVER teach my girls to cook and all the domestic stuff that isn't my favorite spot ever?  Well, lately she's just been watching me and wanting to learn JUST HOW I do it all!  It is kind of fun, really.  She has always liked to peel potatoes with me.  Truthfully, she starts one and I peel the rest and then finish hers.  Today she wanted me to show here EXACTLY how to peel it the RIGHT way.  So I showed her.  When she asked why I do it that way I told her because that is how my mom showed me.  I don't remember ever spending time peeling potatoes with my mom when I was younger (at least not happily anyway) but I do enjoy working in the kitchen with her now.  Kelsey got right into it and was SO SO SO excited when she finished peeling COMPLETELY her very own potato!  It was a fun experience.  I still peeled ALL the others, but this time she completely peeled her very own potato!  I was so happy for her.  Then she wanted to cut them and put them into the pan of water.

What fun to have a daughter!  What fun I had spending my day with her today.  In fact, when I took Jordan to the Sunday Evening Discussion tonight and stayed to listen to the missionaries, she came with me.  She spent the time in the Nursery drawing, reading, and playing.  She was such a big girl and never came to interrupt once.  THAT is an accomplishment.  When I told her how impressed I was and that she has shown me how mature and old she is she was again all smiles.

This has been a good day!

4 comments:

Nicky and Patrick said...

What fun! I have so much to look forward too...but not too fast:)

Lynda said...

Yes, daughters are special! I'm just barely finishing the meals you and Nicky put in the freezer for me. I thank you every time I pull one out and don't have to cook. Love you more than........

Anonymous said...

I could have written this post myself (except that Kierstyn has yet to peel a whole potato by herself, but still). I can so relate. :)

Patty O. said...

I felt the same way when having kids--I would have been content with all boys. But, boy am I glad I also had a daughter! I can already see some of the things you are talking about--Charlotte will tell me I look nice and will get excited to wear a dress in the same color as mine, etc. Though neither of us is much of a frilly girls' girl, we do have fun bonding over some of those things, like nail polish. Sounds like you had a fantastic day!