Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Accessibility and Friendship

I grew up in a fairly stable neighborhood during my Jr High and High School years.  By stable I mean mostly that they were not starter houses where people moved in and out often.  Of course, I only can assume that they were financially stable too....at that age I don't think I really thought much about it.  And really, the moving in and out thing....I just don't think it happened.  I don't really remember having to say good-bye to friends that often.  I think I am the only one that moved....and I seemed to move a fair amount.

I remember moving to Utah from California.  I think the Ward threw our family a party.  I remember a vinyl picnic table cloth that everyone signed.  I wonder what ever became of that?  I remember moving a few times in the same city in Utah.  Each time...hard to say good-bye to friends, but I wasn't moving far...just a different school.  So, thankfully, the stable neighborhood I grew up in was a bit of stability for me too.  I'm not complaining at all, just remembering.  I don't like saying good-bye.

Transfers were always hard on my mission.  I would get so close to the members, investigators, etc that when I had to leave in a couple months it was hard.  The first was the toughest...after that I think I just got used to it.

So getting married and moving halfway across the country was a jolt...but do-able.  I made new friends...only to move again.  Thankfully I have gotten used to moving....but still hate good-byes.  I now live in a place I have for the last 10 years and mostly my friends have stuck around.  True, some change jobs and move but nothing too much.

BUT....I also have lots of great friends in Champaign/Urbana....the University life where moving in and out is so commonplace.  It was interesting to reminisce while up there helping with the last little cleaning up/packing moments for a friend whose husband got a job and they are moving!  I thought about all my moves, helping a million people move in and out in my adult married life, transfers, and mostly of ALL the experiences I had shared with my friend!

I remember first meeting Brittney...in the library in Champaign.  Funny place to have a camp meeting but it worked.  I instantly liked her and new Camp would be fun with her.  I remembered that first year staying up all night talking about ALL the things we have in common....her air mattress happened to deflate the first night so she was sharing with me.  It freaked me out one time when I forgot she was RIGHT THERE and I opened my eyes as I woke up in the middle of the night.  I still laugh about that.

I could go ON and ON and ON about the experiences that coursed through my conscious thought as I swept and mopped and vacuumed and hauled things in the frigid winter air to the truck.  I didn't mind ANY of it as I was mostly lost in memories.  What fun!  The last one I will share, one that thankfully will not only remain in my head and heart, but also on my Camp Tshirt......a couple years ago on our way to the Thurs evening program she brought me a s'more (she was Queen of s'mores...making the JUST right with the chocolate melted JUST PERFECTLY).  I savored it as I walked...probably something I should have stood in one place to do.  As I walked a little bit of chocolate dripped onto my shirt.  It will forever remain there and every time I wear the shirt I think of that experience.

I will miss Brittney at Camp.  I will miss her PERIOD.  Funny...she lives so far away and I rarely see her.  But knowing that she was at least ACCESSIBLE if I ever wanted to just jaunt on up was stable and secure for me.  Now...accessibility is far less likely.  But through cyber-space NO ONE is ever THAT far away.

So...I am glad for one last evening with my friend!  And thankfully I am getting better at good-byes (I bring someone else along so I don't cry).

Good luck with ALL the new adventures awaiting you and Bruce, Brittney!  I love you!  Thanks for being such a GREAT friend!

1 comment:

Brittney Richards said...

Thanks for being such a great friend to me, Denise. I remember when we first met as well. I had no idea that we would have so many things in common and have so much fun together. I will miss camp this year - I don't think I will be able to go. I still like to tell people about playing Farkle with you and the others at camp.

Camp is always awesome and fun - that's mostly because of you and all the funny memories we have there. Luckily, we don't have to be disconnected like you said - technology can do wonders.
Love ya!