Thursday, September 16, 2010

A River Running Through It

If there is one thing I like about being a mom (and there are more than JUST one thing) it is being at the crossroads of my children's lives....such as taking them to school, being here when they get home, etc.  With going to school this semester I miss out on being home when they get home on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  While it is rough on us at times, I know we will all grow from the experience.

So the experience of this morning hits a highlight of my day moment.  While combing Cody's bed head down I put a part in his hair.  He has become sort of particular about his hair...all my kids have for that matter.  Where did they get THAT?  I wasn't so particular so young I don't think.  And this from the kid that refuses to change outfits ... ?????  Anyhow...I asked him if it was okay and his response was one I hope to never forget (which is why I chose to write it down), "No, mom, I don't like the river running through it."  A river running through it?  Sure, I had used some water to make certain that bed head didn't fly back up, but not THAT much water.  Then I saw it....the part was like a river to him.  He didn't want a part.  So out it went and he was happily on his way.

Isn't it funny how we communicate when we don't know the right words?  But we get our points across in the best way we can.  I love that little guy...he is wonderful at letting me know exactly how he feels about things, even if he doesn't know the words that I would use.  We understand one another ... and that is great!

3 comments:

Nicky and Patrick said...

I love it! He is so funny. All of your kiddos are. Wish you lived closer:) Love you.

Nicky and Patrick said...

Okay, I'm leaving another comment. I just got internet back after a few weeks and I have been reading your posts. I just have to say that I think you are one of the coolest people in the world. I have always looked up to you and thought you were the greatest...at everything. I know that I can always turn to you with questions about anything and you are there for me no matter what. I love that about you! You are such an amazing person, mother, leader, student, sister...and the list goes on. I will be praying for you and your cute family and always thinking about you. Love ya!

Lynda said...

Oh my gosh! Do I have the best kids in the world!!! I just read what Nicky wrote to you and feel the same way. Isn't it great that each of your kids have such a different personality. And no...you didn't care about your hair at that age. I think it was probably junior high before you even cared if it was combed. Love you all.