Monday, September 27, 2010

Thoughts of Today

A very long time ago....before marriage, and JUST BEFORE getting engaged....I had an experience that made it so much easier to get engaged and then married.  I was sitting in Sacrament Meeting with my best friend.  Scott and I were very near getting engaged but I was struggling with something I couldn't comprehend.  It may seem trite, or not something that others may value as a true and valid concern, but it was for me!

I had seen many a friend get married - that tends to happen when you don't get married before you are 22, or even maybe 24!  And since I was at the time 26....I had truly seen a lot of friends get married.  I was so happy for them, after all, isn't that what going to college is all about! Hahahahhaha!  Whatever....I valued that great education I received along with the dating scene.

I digress.

So....along with witnessing so many marriages I also was very aware that friendships change....a lot!  This wasn't horrible, but it was, at this particular time in my life, hard to comprehend enjoying.  I didn't see how one man could be my only friend!  I wasn't wired that way.  But I had heard so many friends say that their husband was their best friend, their only friend.  Truthfully, it frightened me!

Fast forward to that Sunday morning in Smyrna, TN.  I have absolutely NO CLUE who the sister was but she bore her testimony about friends and how she was so grateful for them, etc.  I have no idea if that is what she REALLY said, but that is what I got from her testimony.  I could have called Scott right then and there and said I would marry him....only he hadn't asked and I would hate to be SO presumptuous.

And today....I still remain ever so grateful for the friends that I have.  Yes, I can have LOTS of friends and still be friends with my husband.  In fact, I seem to be a better friend to Scott when I have a host of friends surrounding me.  How liberating that day was for me.  Friends truly make my world go round!

Thanks to ALL of my friends!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I may be your Mom but I count myself as your friend too! Would be nice to be a not-so-far-away friend tho. Love you and missed you on our Park City play day.

LynnEl Springer said...

I too may be your mom (not really but kinda!) but I definitely count myself as a friend, too! I am so glad to have my friend, Andrew, but so also very happy to have my girl fiends. They mean so, SO, SO much to me! Girls can't be without friends, even if they're married!