Sunday, August 16, 2009

Carter House -- Battle of Franklin






While in TN this past week I took the kids to see the Carter House where the Battle of Franklin took place in 1864. It was fascinating to see the over 1000 bullet holes STILL THERE. Kelsey and Cody did well to hang with us but Jordan and Spencer were most fascinated. I enjoy history and hope that my children will enjoy it too.

The guide was exceptionally good, in my eyes. Well, I enjoy the stories garnished with the emotion of the time. To hear, with the emphasis just right, about the Carter family and their life was interesting to me. To stand in their home. To realize the Battle that ensued across the field. It was stirring for me. I could see that Jordan and Spencer were into what he was saying too.

Life must have been rough back then. The heat alone was enough to stifle ANYONE in their tracks. But one thing I wish we had today that they had back then was people keeping their word. The guide told a story of the oldest Carter boy who was released from being a prisoner, given his gun back and everything, on his word ONLY that he wouldn't fight again. Oh, to have that type integrity today!

No comments: