Girls Camp 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I concisely and precisely (and adequately) describe a week of my life that I plan for an entire year? How about I just jump right in and relate some fun experiences and times I DON'T want to forget.
This year I smartened up in a lot of ways...well, maybe just did things more efficiently. For one, I stayed the night on Sunday after taking a load up. I usually head back home...just to get in bed after my kids have already gone to bed and then I leave before they get up. Ineffective use of my time in the past ... especially since being with them is the ONLY reason I head back home.
So staying the night with a friend was fun. I didn't do much...and even stayed up later than I should have. But I got some inspiration that night that I wouldn't have otherwise received. I LOVE when THAT happens.
Another stroke of genius ... which really isn't genius as much as just well planned. We put the Service Project FIRST! The Young Women WEREN'T pooped yet and in any sort of a complaining mood. So I was much pleased with THAT. I wish I would have been able to help more, but I helped Bro Springer set up for his fire building demonstration and contest. It is always a big hit. This year a bunch of 1st years did GREAT!!!!! I love when that happens.




I'll not continue with strokes of genius, or even ways I, personally, smartened up. Suffice it to say that I had some fabulous ladies working with me that made things run so very very smoothly.
Being my last year as the Stake Camp Director was a bit difficult and different. I tried hard not to let it dampen any of my spirits and actually thought I did rather well (as long as no one asked me about it). But I was sad on Thurs and Fri.Ok....so....I loved that the Amazing Race turned out every bit as good, or better, than my original vision in May at BYU. The ability to choose and then get glow sticks was great. Glow sticks make ANY youth activity I have decided. I was pleased as punch when at the end they really "got it!" I gave them a glow in the dark "Child of God" ring .... glow sticks shine in the dark for awhile but the rings forever, symbolizing our talents vs our status as children of God. I love when they get it.
I chose to have the newest EFY CD playing so that was a big hit. It was fun to sing WITH them and also turn it down and notice that they were ALL right on timing wise with the song. They are a lot of fun to be with -- the Champaign Stake Young Women!!!!

Brittney Richards did a fabulous job with our certification this year. Each year it gets better and better. This year was tops for me. We had an Olympic Theme with Opening Ceremonies on Tues night. They spent time making their own flags with their own team names along with a color. Their own little jingle/skit showed us all who they were. That was a fun night. What made it a hit was the visiting rock band -- "Out of Sync." Yes, the members of the band? Yours Truly and my cohorts in the Stake. It was made easy ... out of sync is a typical way I dance, or at least it wasn't hard to make mistakes. And it was actually a lot of fun. As long as I am NOT the one thinking up the songs or moves, or what not, I am fine...and actually enjoy myself once on stage.


We had a comeback on Wed night....where we danced in the pitch black to Larger than Life by the Backstreet Boys. The catch? We had glow sticks all over us....on our ankles, legs, hips, wrists, arms, neck, and head. I really wish it was video taped. I heard it was really cool to watch. We through all the glow sticks in the audience....another big hit....and then did our "diggin' the dancin' queen" dance with shovels. This time it was way more choreographed, which made it way more easy for ME to be truly "out of sync."It has been almost a week since I have been home so the initial response and thoughts aren't as fast in coming. I enjoyed every bit of the week. I dreaded the end, but know it will continue to be a great place for the Young Women to come and feel of God's LOVE for them.
Our Monday night party is always fun....this year we added birthday games. We always have music and dancing. This year we had a pinata, pin the nose on the clown, etc. Fun times as always.
Many spiritual experiences abound at Girls Camp. I know that I am NOT privy to all of them. The ones I AM privy too hold a dear place in my heart......from every year I've been there. This year I had a women's name on my mind for months prior...hoping she would be our camp photographer. But I knew she was busy and didn't want to ask her. Did she even know who I was???? Well, the WEEK before Camp I sent her a really personal message...hehehe, through FACEBOOK of all things. Thankfully, she responded affirmatively as well as excitedly and the rest is history. She brought a lot to Camp this year and I know that Camp brought a lot to her too.
Girls Camp will forever be a healing place, a place where the Spirit abounds. I know of people who feel the Spirit for the first time at Camp. And though they may forget those times as life goes on, it will forever stand as a beacon in their lives....a place of safety and peace and love.
A Young Woman broke her glasses. A leader suggested they pray before trying to fix them. That specific leader had lost her own glasses months before and still was searching. As she prayed her will to find her own was overcome with her will to ask our Father in Heaven to fix the young woman's. A miracle ensued. The glasses were fixed and the next day her daughter brought her lost glasses, sharing the story of them being found around the same time the prayer was offered.
These are just a couple of the MANY miracles of Girls Camp 2009! I am grateful, and will ALWAYS be, that I was able to be a part of so much good, so much LOVE! The love was so much more apparent this year. I love it! I love to see it, feel it, talk about it, and be in the middle of it. And boy was it strong this year. I love it!!!! I love surrounding myself with loving women....and great people that make me great! I love making new friends and spending time with the ones I already have....making memories and gaining strength.

I never want to forget Becca Anderson's secret sister gifts....her reaction of pure joy and excitement....the story behind the gift giver also. I don't want to forget the feeling of love I have for these Young Women, the hugs I received, the light I see in their eyes. I don't want to forget being eye witness to testimonies being gained, love being shared, help being given. I never want to forget singing with them, dancing with them, LOVING THEM...period.We had them cook in their campsites a lot more this year. Had the Tuesday storm passed us by, I think it would have been a bigger hit. But as it was, it was great. Not too much complaining, despite it all. We quickly rearranged our schedule and all was well. Despite praying ALL night that it wouldn't rain all day....it still rained. I was reminded of the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego in Old Testament. They would not pray to the God of the King, regardless of the punishment for not doing so --- being thrown in the fiery furnace. They told the King that THEIR God would save them, could save them, "BUT IF NOT" they would still serve Him. Though I had prayed ALL night - literally - and KNEW that God could stay the heavens from the onslaught of pouring rain, I also knew He might not. So, "but if not" I will still serve Him. It was nice to be able to share that thought.
Our First Aid Race was fabulous! Brittney thinks of everything. It didn't matter than some of the girls, by this time in the week, were prone to complain and not participate as eagerly as we would like. It was a great activity. I am grateful that SHE was in charge of that part of Camp...she is organized and wonderful!
The Water Games as part of our Olympic Games were a big hit too. I loved watching all the girls have a great time. Thankfully it wasn't too cold nor was it raining during THAT part of our schedule.
This year we read our scriptures in the chapel. We called it our "Sacred Grove" experience. I was a bit aprehensive ... not knowing if the close proximity would distract from the Spirit. But really it was a wonderful time that I heard was a highlight for a lot of the Young Women. I really love spending time in the scriptures with them. I enjoyed talking with them afterwards about what they had gleaned from their time with God. They are maturing and 'getting it.' I also very much enjoyed that Becca would come up afterward and share her thoughts with me. Those times mean a lot to me.

Canoeing was another Olympic Event. Some really liked it and some really didn't. No worries, they ALL had to participate. And it was fun to watch them row in circles and in every which way in order to make it to Brittney's husband, Bruce, and back. Funny....had they all listened intently to the directions, and then maybe even practiced just a tiny bit, they would have had an easier time. Amazing how that principle works in ALL of life!We moved the Priesthood Dinner back into the Dining Hall. I think they all like the lack of STRESS that way. It was nice to have the Priesthood Message BEFORE dinner also. It just worked out well. It crunched ME for time, but worked out well. The Thursday night Evening Program was fabulous!!!! This year's testimony meeting was great....the best yet, I do believe. I love to hear the Young Women testify of what they know, what they have felt, and what they want to do in the future because of their time at Girls Camp. It is a fitting end for me. I really wish that night could go on and on forever....as long as the testimonies stay testimonies and not just funny times to get up and laugh!!!!
Friday cleaning up went smoothly. And the awards part didn't go too long either. I really felt inspired with ALL the extra awards (symbol of the fire, tree, mountain, and river) this year. I mean, I REALLY felt the Spirit as I read them and we decided WHO to give them to. Girls Camp is truly AMAZING!!!!!
The leaders (Becca, Brittney, Aubrey, and I) stayed over Fri night. We had hoped for a beautiful day to swim and do whatever -- have a camp fire, marshmallows, etc -- on Friday then break camp on Saturday. Not so....it lightly rained from 2 pm until 8 pm. We stayed in the Dining Hall and talked and played games. It was fun....but I really would have liked to swim, etc. So...we swam on Saturday, the hottest day yet this summer! It was fun to hang with the ladies without any responsibility. I made a flop of the pizza crust, but it turned out ok. I taught them h0w to dive and just had a relaxing time. I do admit, my mind was a bit preoccupied with the really being done with this calling thing, but I tried to stay afloat.
I will truly miss this calling. Thankfully I don't have to NOT go to Camp anymore. I think that the Effingham Branch will always need folks who want to stay the entire week....so Jill Jones and myself will be it.
Times from years gone by that I won't forget:
- a circle of lit candles singing "Pass It On!"
- pushing and pulling some of the Young Women up the ravine on our hike
- the swinging bridge
- finding Susan's ring after searching for hours on end
- laughing with the leaders til I cried
- "leader svet"
- listening to one of the youth leaders say she now understood what it took to run camp and realizing how far from it she really was...then realizing that I am far from knowing what our Father in Heaven feels and does, etc.
- gathering a group of great people to surround me at Camp
- having a leader come to me late at night with a problem, praying as I walked to the Dining Hall, and feeling inspired as to how to handle the situation
- those I have worked with
- feeling supported and held up by those who surround me at Camp
- feeling inspired "on the spot" in so many instances....then finding out that specific part was the best part for a certain Young Woman
- seeing the small wonders of nature
- the theme songs.....ALL of them!!!!
- Sleeping in a tent with friends
- the pool late at night with the leaders one year
- italian ice
- almond joy stashes
- tape on my leg my FIRST year as the Ward Camp Director....being in the "Geoff M is hot" club!
- rain! flooded tents and trips to the laudramat
- the food -- nothing surpasses it
- preparing for camp! Believe it or not...I actually enjoy this part.
- HUGS! HUGS!! and even more HUGS!!!
- oh...and many many many more....
And now...for those of you who actually made it to the end....I am sure I love you most! And most likely you love me the most too! For I imagine that you are the ones that KNOW how I feel about Girls Camp and support my heart in this endeavor!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
4 comments:
Great synopsis of girls camp! I too enjoyed camp this year - probably even more than last year. I enjoyed laughing with the girls and sometimes at the girls. Great times! Thanks for sharing it with me.
Almost made me wish I had been there! Brought back great memories of the years I was camp cook in California. Fun times.
I don't know if there can be another Girls' Camp leader like Denise Demers! What a great example you are and have always been to these girls AND leaders! I believe that sometimes the leaders need girls camp more than the YW!! But I also believe that we all need friends and to feel the love of the Lord and that's what we find at girls camp. Thank you for being such a grand facilitator for all of us finding friends and feeling the love of the Lord in our lives! You ARE a favorite friend and I love you - and I read every word of your Girls' camp post - because I love you!!
So I'm behind on catching up with you but I first needed to see how your amazing girls camp went - Denise, you are SO GIFTED! If ever I become a camp director (gasp!) I will be coming back here to snag a bunch of your ideas. This seriously looks like the funnest girls camp ever! You worked so hard and I'm sure it is a relief to have it done but, man, it looks like it was worth it!
Fabulous job!
Post a Comment