Tuesday, January 19, 2010

20-20

This blog entry is mainly written for the Hansen family (who live in California). You see, it's about their son. The inspiring young missionary turned 20 yesterday. His goal -- to run 20 miles on his 20th birthday! Wowsers!!! Good thing I don't have to run MY age on MY next birthday in May! But he has inspired me to "accumulate" that many miles BY my next birthday.

Elder Hansen is a runner! Or USED TO BE a runner! He's a missionary now! I remember our first meeting -- he was BRAND NEW, a tall dark and handsome young missionary STRAIGHT from the MTC. He and his companion were giving a tour of the church as a fireside to some of our members. I thought about how intimidating that must be for a brand new missionary, trying to teach us all something we already knew, and my heart went out to him.

His words may have been a bit shaky compared with his seasoned trainer, but his love for his Savior, Jesus Christ, and his love for the gospel of Jesus Christ radiated from within this man of God. I knew instantly he'd be a great missionary and smiled encouragingly throughout the tour.

I remembered a night many years ago in Houlten, Maine where I was the brand new missionary. Many instances probably relate, but one very distinct memory stands out where my love for Christ and His gospel FAR surpassed ANY eloquence I demonstrated in presenting the message.

As I smiled at him with all the encouragement I could, he seemed at ease directing his comments in my direction. I was grateful because I was then privileged to hear and feel his deep and abiding testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith! No faltered words. No fear. Just power as he spoke straight from his heart the words he KNEW TO BE TRUE! Once again I knew he'd become a great missionary and was glad to be a part of his BEGINNING!

He's been at our house many times ... working with my husband who is the Branch Mission Leader. But also for haircuts and dinner. My children love him. We all do. Which is why after his coming to get a blessing prior to his big run, we determined to support him.

Following are MANY pics and videos specifically for his family --- but my typical readers are welcome to check them out too. How he had SO MUCH energy after 3 1/2 hours of running I'll NEVER know! Yeah for Elder Hansen....we love him....congrats on accomplishing your goal!
The finish line -- 3 1/2 hours later!

Here are all the videos in order of how we took them....we aren't the best videographers, but you get the picture.

























And there you have it....can't believe he wasn't puking when he came across the road. I know I would have been far before that point. But the silly boy has run 50 miles at a time. What on earth. He's determined and that determination has paid off on his mission as well.

Great son you have. Thanks for sharing him with us!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

Denise, you are so lucky to be able to get to know your missionaries so well. We hardly even get a chance to meet them here in Utah! Glad we've been able to meet many of your missionaries and have the fun of having them in our home too.

Shirley hansen said...

Thank you so very much for posting this event on your blog! Kurt is amazing....and just when we think he has amazed us to the limit...he does it again...20 miles...without regular training...WOW. His running companion ran 14 miles the other day and said that it was difficult...he couldn't imagine running 20 without training for it regularly.
We are so happy that Kurt began his mission in Effingham. He has had amazing experiences and just loves his area. He speaks so highly of the members there and of the joy he is receiving daily for being a part of the miracles of missionary life. In the word's of Kurt (Elder Hansen) he states " I had no idea the joy I would receive serving a mission. I simply love it."
This joy is made possible because of the members like you who work with the missionaries and support their efforts.
Thank you again...and I did share your blog site with a lot of our friends and family...so you may have a few hits over the next few days. Thank you again
Ken and Shirley Hansen