Thursday, January 7, 2010

SNOW DAY LESSONS!

I finished reading the Leven Thumps series. In the series I met a man named Tim who was a garbage man. And while I would NEVER choose that line of work (my nose is far too bionic for that), I admired Tim for his reason for loving the work. It gave him time to think. And he LOVED to think.

Shoveling snow is like that for me....it gives me time to think. A lot of work is like that for me...I do LOVE to think. I love to compare a lot of mundane life experiences to gospel principles, to ideas and axioms. Analogies, metaphors, similes....I love them all.

And so today...being a snow day...gave me time to think while shoveling a VERY LONG driveway.

********************

Perspective is an interesting thing.

Since living in IL at our present house I have more than once been a bit shocked with people walking through my mom's yard when I go home. Of course, they aren't REALLY walking through her yard, but it sure seems like those walking on the sidewalk in front of her home MUST be coming to see them since they are SO CLOSE to her home. Anyone walking THAT CLOSE to my home would surely be more than halfway to my house. My mom chuckles when I ask who is coming by when this happens.

Suffice it to say, our driveway is a bit LONGER than my mom's. So today when I ventured out to shovel it I chuckled to myself about this experience. I also got a good little laugh when I remembered not wanting to do ALL THAT WORK back home....of cleaning off that HUGE driveway in the cold.

Perspective!

********************

While I was shoveling the newspaper girl came by. It amazed me to see how she was dressed. My ears were frozen by this point and I had on LOTS of layers, a hat, gloves, boots, etc. Her hands and head were bare, coat unzipped, and boots soggy. It really didn't matter too much but when she mentioned she was cold I said something about zipping up her coat. "Don't want to." she replied. She went on to say that her hands and face were freezing too but didn't want to wear gloves or a hat. Her boots were more for looks - nothing against that, of course - and she mentioned they weren't working too well either. But she didn't do anything but walk through the deep snow instead of around it. I thought about the times I c0mplain because I don't like things but don't do anything to make my situation better.

********************

I have heard it said that cleaning the house while the children are young is like shoveling snow while it is still snowing!

I shoveled....I didn't clean house!

But I thought about it as I shoveled powdery snow, which DIDN'T kill my back so much. It wasn't heavy but it was very windy. This just means that if you throw the snow INTO the wind you get a big surprise...a very cold FACE!

I worked pretty systematically, like my nature....row by row cleaning it off very neatly. I thought and thought about lots of things. NO kids to help. Do I get them to help and teach them about working? Or do I just have fun myself and get it done quickly and neatly? I chose the latter.

Until Cody came along. I started to say, "Don't do it that way...." etc, but stopped myself so he could have a fun experience with me. Then Spencer and Kelsey came to help too. They were anything BUT quick and neat. The rows were haphazard and all over the place. I chuckled to myself that my life used to be a lot more quick and neat before all these wonderful children. I have since learned to live in more chaos than I am used to and ... grinned to myself that I think I'm actually doing ok MOST of the time.

********************

The kids had a blast! Snow is always fun and our neighbors have perfect hills for sledding. I'm glad they can have so much fun. Tomorrow will most likely bring colder temperatures and SCHOOL, so playing all day has been a treat!

I just found out (much later than I began this post) that tomorrow is ANOTHER snow day! "So that means we can stay up late?" says Jordan. I suppose a bit more of this holiday routine can be ok!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Great pictures! I thought about calling you and getting the kids together, but mine are so wimpy about the cold. Danny took easily 15 minutes to get dressed and then spent about 6 minutes outside before he was too cold. Of course, he is acting a bit off today, so I suspect he isn't feeling all that well.

I love your deep thoughts! Maybe I should have some when I finally get around to shoveling tomorrow. And I will be grateful for once that my house is smaller and therefore my driveway is tiny compared with yours!