Friday, January 1, 2010

The Year of the Bike Wreck

Upon asking my children about their most memorable experiences from 2009 HALF of them replied hands down, "MY BIKE WRECK!" The others soon remembered theirs...however small they were. With two shouted out with such emphasis, the others HAD to follow...if you know what I mean.

I would have to say Kelsey's and Jordan's WERE noteworthy. As Cody LEARNED to ride a two-wheeler this Fall, his were inevitable and minor. Truly, I can't remember Spencer's. And thankfully, MUCH more noteworthy standouts happened this past year!

Specifically......

Jordan -- turned 12, received the Aaronic Priesthood, entered Jr. High, played Junior Football (full padded, no less...ouch), and spray painted his room (yikes...what was I thinking?)

Spencer -- finished with a First Place Ribbon at a local Art Show for his pottery (and received a pottery wheel from Nana for Christmas), played Flag Football and Basketball and loves it, entered 3rd grade...a new school and is getting straight A's.

Kelsey -- sings and dances through life, entered 1st grade...a new school and has learned to read and tell time, played summer softball and survived a couple balls hitting her and just making her softball loving mom grin from ear to ear.

Cody -- entered a new Pre School, learned to ride a bike, and is a big help for mom around the house.

Scott -- High School Soccer coach with a winning season (much improved over the previous years), Branch Mission Leader, Community Volunteer, Fabulous Father and Husband, and underwent knee surgery just in the nick of time to count it for 2009 - which means he is STILL recovering!

Denise -- all around perfect! Hahahhaha! NOT! I did finish some fun projects (i.e. the lights/fans in the dining room, bunkbeds in the boys' room, a dining room table, and I'm sure there are others I can't remember), Final Girls Camp as Stake Director, BYU Women's Conference Presenter, and MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM (which you know what THAT means).

Those of you that have followed my blog have read about these stand out occurrences as they have happened. Thanks for reading. And some have been present....yippee for friends and family to surround me!

What a year this has been for me, personally. It is amazing to me how loss brings learning, trials bring triumph, hurt eventually becomes happiness, and confusion makes way for contentment....eventually. As I ponder on the events that have led to my learning, triumphs, happiness and contentment I can only be thankful for my Savior who makes all change possible. Through HIM I am content. Through HIM I am truly happy. Through HIM come triumphs. Through HIM comes all learning! I am most thankful for HIM this past year....and for making ALL the rest possible!

Today I am a better person because of all that has been in my life. All who have traversed my heart, my path, have made me who I am, have changed me in some way or another. I wish for 2010 to be the kind of person that makes footprints in others lives that they are happy with -- to leave them better than I found them. Sure....losing weight (eating right, exercising), personal spiritual goals, and mental goals, and emotional goals will all help......but really, I just want to be a good person, that I can live with each moment of my life without any regrets. One that I can look at in the mirror and smile at. I want to be forgiving, loving, gentle, and kind. And mostly, I want to be known as a person of the Lord.

Now...over lunch I asked the kids what they wanted to accomplish in 2010. They are not near so introspective as me yet. Jordan wants to play the computer/wii daily. Hahahha! But Kelsey does want to do better at going to bed on time....with remembering to brush her teeth first. Spencer wants to reach his AR goals at school. Cody said he doesn't want to do anything. They all crack me up.

As for our family.....they said we need to play more together so they can improve their game (i.e. basketball, football, and soccer). They want to travel and do fun things. Of course, they agreed wholeheartedly (hahhaa) when I mentioned needing their help to read and pray morning and night!

Ok.....I suppose they are getting on me now to make dinner. Maybe THAT should be one of my goals this year....to make dinner regularly! Ha.....such it is.

Happy New Year!!!!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Ah Denise. You are close to perfect as they come! How many women can build a room in the basement, do the electrical by talking to a brother on the phone while doing it, continue faithfully to have scripture study and prayer with your family, remodel her own home, talk in front of hundreds of people and do a great job, see the humor in most things, learn from experience, make her mother proud, AND (this is a big one) make a blanket on a new tool...a sewing machine! Sure do love you.