Thursday, July 2, 2009

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends

This is the saying a friend here has in her kitchen. As I looked at it I thought just how very much it IS and ISN'T true. This particular friend seems like an old friend, like we have known one another forever....yet we really have only just met. She is in my mom's Ward and we rarely see one another. There's just something that bonds two friends and I'm sure we will become old friends. This week our kids have played PERFECTLY together....begging each of us to live closer. Here is a picture of her youngest (just 9 days older than Cody) with Kelsey and Cody. They played here today while Spencer and Jordan stayed at her house. It is fun to make friends that will be friends forever!


On the other hand....I have MANY old friends who I am more than grateful we remain friends throughout the years. I got to see two such friends today. Becky has cut my hair since I was in high school...or just after (not long, you see ... heheehe). Hers is a cut that always grows out looking good...and I love that. Her older sister, Paula, has been my friend forever too. As I was describing the situation to a friend today I realized that though she is older than I am by about 8 years, she began as a mentor...someone I really looked up to. She befriended an insecure little 13-14 year old and was forever my friend. She was my Ward Basketball coach and my Ward Camp Director. In my eyes, she could do NO wrong. Then she went on a mission and wrote to me faithfully. During those years where testimonies are teetering she bore hers strong and powerful, with a touch of fun. I will forever love that family.

Anyhow...my boys DESPERATELY needed haircuts. They are kind of into this longer look and I am NO GOOD at cutting a longer style. They were far too shaggy for me...so I took the opportunity to kill a few birds with one stone -- head to Becky's for my boys' haircuts, Paula comes down with her mom, and all is good. It was SOOO much fun for me to sit and visit with them as Becky cut hair and then until her next appointment came.


The first Sunday we went to an old friend's house. It is so nice to see all the kids playing so well together. Our kids stair step in age. I didn't take the opportunity to post pics of that interaction in my first post while here in Utah. THEY were to 'friends' in that first post. Here is a pic of ALL the kids...and one of Jordan and Calvin...two very close friends regardless of how often they see each other.



Growing old friends may not take a long time all the time, but old friends sure make the world go 'round!

No comments: