Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Simple Pleasures

I have been so very busy lately that I seem to be neglecting looking at the simple pleasures in my life. Here are JUST A FEW that I can remember off the top of my head that I don't want to forget:

  1. Raisin Bran hold the Bran! Cody LOVES Raisin Bran...but this morning he asked me why the 'brown things' were in there. Really, he loves the sugar coated raisins and endures SOME of the bran. It was cute this morning. He had it ALL figured out. "Mom, you pour the cereal in my bowl then you take out all the brown things and put them in your bowl." So...that is what I did and he had a bowl of sugar coated raisins for breakfast with LOTS of milk.
  2. Yesterday on the way home from the store Cody and Spencer were talking about something. I must have been in my own little world because I don't know WHAT they were talking about. But I overheard Cody say, "You will because we are best buddies, remember?!" He is at a very cute age for fun things coming out of his mouth.
  3. We made a campfire last night. I enjoyed just sitting with my kids around the fire. We saw the shadows of a couple animals head from behind our forsythia and head up the neighbors hill. We figured they were raccoons but couldn't tell. But we could see their eyes glowing for a very long time. Spencer REALLY wanted to know if they were still there (because of the glowing eyes) and WHAT they really were. But he wouldn't go alone. Finally I went with him...but he was too scared without a flashlight. So we got flashlights. As we walked down there we could smell what seemed to be a faint skunk smell. Oh that is NOT what I wanted to find. "How far can a skunk spray, mom?" I had NO idea and I didn't REALLY want to find out....so we just shined our flashlights in the direction of the glowing lights. Oh my goodness, we both erupted in laughter. Those glowing eyes NEVER moved and when we got close enough that the light could make out WHAT they were....they were those solar lights. We had a good laugh.
  4. Last night it was actually KELSEY who wanted to go in and go to bed. She is usually my "let me stay up to read a book" girl. Spencer and Cody were still into the fire so we compromised for a bit longer. As we came in to get ready for bed I went down to the computer to finish up some unfinished Camp business. It wasn't long before Kelsey was down with the Friend magazine wanting me to read her a story. I finished what I was doing and up I went. Cody and Spencer are still camping out on her floor and needed some attention....sadly, when I got done with ALL THAT I looked over and she was fast asleep in her bed. She is so cute....and just goes to sleep when she is tired. So I read the story to the boys and lights out. NO ONE made too much noise....Kum Ba Yah from my bedroom and snoring is all I heard from that time on!
  5. Jordan packed for a day before his Scout Camp this week. I actually did most the packing to make sure it was all there. But he was so almost giddy with excitement. THAT was fun for me to witness. In talking to him today on the phone he had a pretty good time in the pool with a greased watermelon and then with tales of a huge raccoon that "jacked" their garbage can last night....got into the apples and ate 8 of them, etc. He's having a good time and I am glad for that.
  6. Some time ago Spencer went shopping with me. We saw a "taco rice" mix and he wanted it. So I got it for him. It wasn't until last night that I made it for him. "Oh mom! Thanks!!! This is GREAT! Can I have more?" I needed to write THIS one down because it isn't every night that I hear something like that --- though when I do, it is usually Spencer who will say it.
I am sure I could add to this post tomorrow (and the next day and the next and next and next) but right now I need to go make more memories....as well as teach Spencer how to push mow the lawn (our riding mower needs fixing right now), work for Camp stuff, etc etc etc.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Bring them back here. I miss them!!