Sunday, March 1, 2009

It Takes a Village

This saying, "It takes a village to raise a child" is attributed to an African Proverb. Regardless of where it comes from, I believe that it is definitely true. Growing up I remember many lessons learned from teachers, other adults, friend's parents, etc. And gratefully now, as the parent, I see that others have a great ability to teach my own children. Sometimes I am more grateful than at other times, but I am always willing to let others help in rearing my children IF they have the same ideals and values that I have in my home.

Take for instance today in Sacrament Meeting....Scott was home sick so I was solo WITH 4 out of control kids. Last night must have been a full moon judging my my kids' behavior! I sent Spencer to sit with a friend in front of us....a sister sitting alone. He thought he was in total trouble, but really I just needed to separate him from Cody and had no other adult to get in between them. This friend was perfect...and he was fine. After talking to her on the phone this afternoon I am more thankful than before. She spoke of their conversations during the sacrament...much more teaching oriented than what I would be saying in between "shhh." She spoke of her reverence and gratitude for the priesthood and how he would be passing the sacrament soon. Her questions of WHY we take the sacrament were answered with honest and true answers. He KNOWS. Her continued "why's" and "how come's" led to more discussion. "What does (x) mean?" spurred an explanation in 8 year old terms.

Yes, it takes a village to raise a child. And I am thankful to be a part of a wonderful village full of wonderful friends to help me raise my children in righteousness.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

What a great experience! I'm also grateful for your little village as well! In particular, your boys were always so nice to my son, even as a baby, and I was always impressed that each time I would visit they would remember him and ask about him like they were buddies. So see, your boys were helping raise my boy! Thank you!