Sunday, April 26, 2009

AHHHHHHH!

This is a GOOD "Ahhhhh!"

When I was in High School I remember going to my friend's cabin with her and her family. I was beat after a lot of basketball practices...everyone was tired. Her dad laid down on the floor and his younger children walked on his back, rubbed his feet...the works. I decided then and there that what was going on was a good thing and I would incorporate it into my parenting someday.

And I have!

I remember brushing or combing my mom's hair ... and she would let me. But mostly I remember my younger siblings doing it. The look on my mom's face was not one of "get this over with, already" (surely she had better things to be doing) but one of exquisiteness. Regardless of the funny and weird hairdo's we all gave her...she loved it.

I now understand that exquisite feeling and know first hand why she let us do it for as long as we wanted.

I love when my kids brush my hair while I read stories to them at night. Lately it has been them getting my lotion and rubbing my feet. It feels SO good. I also let them walk on my back. Who knows if that is a good thing or not, but it sure works out tired and sore muscles.

Maybe one day I will smile to myself as I watch THEIR children do the same for them.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

So what is your secret to keeping them from getting your hair all knotted up? :) My boy wants to do my hair but I guess I don't get the same kind of relaxation as you do! someday maybe!

Patty O. said...

See now my kids are not so gentle. Both Char and Danny decided the other night that it would be so much fun to CLIMB on me. I laughed so hard, I could hardly breathe. I had both of them literally hanging off me, knocking my face with their elbows and stepping on all different parts of me. It was funny, a bit painful at times, but funny!