Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Single Sentence

The effect of a single sentence can be wondrous and magical, sometimes phenomenal. Sometimes I have heard sermons in just one sentence. Sentences can speak volumes....mean more than is said...and make everything ok. On the flip side, the tongue can cut deeply, with long lasting effects. Sometimes these sentences come from a friend or spouse, our our children: "I love you." "I am sorry." "You look great." "You did a great job."

Sometimes they come at times we don't expect....not thought out, just happen. We hear just the right thing when it is most needed. Other times it comes well thought out and just as much needed. These little phrases, these little words can change a life, change the world.

The single sentence I speak of now is written in James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." Of this scripture, Elder Bruce R. McConkie writes, “This single verse of scripture has had a greater impact and a more far reaching effect upon mankind than any other single sentence ever recorded by any prophet in any age” ( Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3:246–47).

As I wrote that quote on the board in seminary yesterday it hit me with a lot of force. What blessings have I seen in my life because of that single sentence? How has Joseph Smith's acting on the feelings of his heart FROM that verse affected my life?

The responses from the youth touched me....one amazed me. "I wouldn't have the friendships I have." My ponderings on THAT single sentence have brought a lot of joy to me. I have countless friendships, a lot in the church, that I couldn't live without....that came ONLY because of my membership in the church, my associations there. I believe Joseph Smith once said (and I'm not going to take the time to find the EXACT quote) that one of the reasons the church was restored was for our associations....I think.

Our discussion was fabulous and brought the Spirit strongly to my heart. To speak of Joseph Smith who as "the aProphet and bSeer of the Lord, has done more, csave Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it." (D&C 135:3) To speak of the blessings of the restoration brought joy and peace. "Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!"

Yes, a single sentence can change a life, change the world. Obviously Joseph's action in regard to reading James 1:5 completely changed the world....and thereby offered the peace and joy I feel in my life to ME.

No comments: