I thank God for unspoken but definitely NOT unanswered prayers. Yesterday it happened to me in a very profound and poignant way. I won't go into the sacred details, but suffice it to say that my day was very blessed as I realized once again the "angels" among us....that our Heavenly Father is well aware of each one of us and our needs, concerns, etc.
Spencer W. Kimball said, "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom. The people of the Church need each other’s strength, support, and leadership in a community of believers as an enclave of disciples. In the Doctrine and Covenants we read about how important it is to “succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.” (D&C 81:5.) So often our acts of service consist of simple encouragement or of giving mundane help with mundane tasks—but what glorious consequences can flow from mundane acts and from small but deliberate deeds." (Spencer W. Kimball, “There Is Purpose in Life,” New Era, Sep 1974, 4)
As I spoke to Scott about it in the evening over dinner after the kids were back outside playing tears came into our throats again as he related that an unspoken prayer (a prayer of the heart) of his had been answered that day also. From our discussion, and from my experience, I determined (as he and I have in the past) to be better at following the still small promptings of the Spirit and acting right away.
In that same talk by Spencer W. Kimball he goes on, "George McDonald observed that “it is by loving and not by being loved that one can come nearest to the soul of another.” Of course, we all need to be loved, but we must be giving and not always receiving if we want to have wholeness in our lives and a reinforced sense of purpose."
I have been the recipient many times of the Lord's bounties through other people. I hope that I can also be the giver --- as I have been the giver I do feel a wholeness in my life and a reinforced sense of purpose.
As I knelt to thank my Heavenly Father I also asked to be of greater service to others around me. Interesting to me that Monday night at the Rosebud a friend's son started a clothing line called RAN (Random Acts of Niceness). Cool! And I received recently from a friend a video request for a birthday gift.....to be a "Day Maker" for others in honor of his birthday.....to give a hug or some act of kindness to another...to make their day brighter.
The world is a good place. Sure, it is fraught with crime and the horrible things the Adversary throws at us (and some embrace), but as Pres Monson stated recently in his Conf address..."be of good cheer." I am glad to be associated with the good people of the world...to see their small (and large) acts of service.
Mosiah 2:17
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn awisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the bservice of your cfellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
2 comments:
Denise and Scott,
You are awesome and we love you! We are so happy that you have such wonderful, moving, spiritual experiences that we all can be blessed by. Thank you.
That is a great post. I have thought of this before as well. About how the Lord has blessed me in ways that I needed, but didn't even know I needed, so I had never asked for it. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful Heavenly Father and to KNOW it.
Post a Comment