Monday, April 6, 2009

General Conference

How can I put into words my thoughts and feelings about this past weekend? I know a friend who could say it perfectly....concisely and precisely. As for me....I could ramble on and on about how wonderful it was -- and probably will.

I am not quite sure when I came to the realization that Gen Conf was something I enjoyed. I do remember sitting on the couch growing up, trying hard to stay awake. Enjoying what I heard, and knowing I was listening to a prophet, but not really 'getting it.' Whether it started in High School or College, or even on my mission, I don't know. But I do know that the time now flies far too quickly by. I am reminded of my mom saying that they always get better...that is what I remember her saying as I grew up. And now I say the same thing. They just get better and better each session, each year.

I appreciate the themes of smiling through adversity, honoring our temple covenants, and relying on Christ. There were countless others, I know. I can't wait to read them....to delve into them again and again. As I read I can hear their voices. I have come to know each one by their face AND their voice. I LOVE that. Six months ago my friend made me a CD of clips from the Apostles. I treasure that. It's about 30 minutes long....I can listen to it and seem to get the entire Conf messages in a nutshell. Gratefully, she has consented to make me another this time around. Searching for just the right quote makes me explore each talk over and over again. I like that.

And so.....General Conference weekend has left me uplifted and edified, moved and strengthened, pushed and molded, and ready to face the day to day routine again. Six months will not come soon enough until I can listen and watch once more. What would I do without my Conference Ensign (isn't it great that the Church now gives the option to get 2 Conf editions -- no more wondering where Scott put it, or him wondering why I ALWAYS have it!)? Right now I'm in a race to finish all the talks before the NEW Conference Ensign comes......a little game I have played with a friend here for a few years now. It is fun....I like to listen to them too.

1 comment:

LynnEl Springer said...

Denise,
I love games! Can I play this game with you and your friend too? If yes, tell me the rules! I'm a big rules fan! I can't wait to begin! I too love conference and my son, Dan, who's on a mission now, said at his first General Conference while he was on his mission, "When did these conferences get so good?" So, I imagine he will remember when he learned that conference is definitely a time to look forward to and to learn and grow and be spiritually fed to keep us full until the next time! Love it!